Thread: Speed up Vista/Windows 7

Giz
    Giz is offline Beginner

Default Speed up Vista/Windows 7

Try this site here if you want to speed up your Vista or Windows 7. I've tried most of the settings and they all seem to work really well on Windows 7.

A lot of the tips are pretty obvious like clearing out unused programs and files, but some are excellent like (23) Speeding up boot time by (option 5) Changing the number of processors at boot up. Default setting is 1, so if you've got a quad core, select 4 in the drop down, and see your system load all the programs quicker at start up.

Sorry if this has been posted before, or if there's the same thing on the Vista forum, but I'm new here!

dmudgal is offline Windows Enthusiast

there's nothing new in there.........

Giz
    Giz is offline Beginner

Depends how new your are to registry editing... and does everyone know that if you've got a quad core cpu, only one of the four cores is used by default at Windows start up?
    Just making the point that these Vista tips work on Windows7 too.
    Last edited by Giz; 26th January 2009 at 11:50.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Sure, Vista tips will mostly work on 7 too. Over tweaking can mess up a Windows installation, imo. One has to only apply the tweaks which one feels one needs and thst too judiciously

May interest some :
    Make Vista Start, Run, Shutdown Faster !
    Avoid Vista Tweaks Of Doubtful Value
    Arresting Windows Rot

Check out our Ultimate Windows Tweaker , Giz, it may help you apply some useful tweaks, easily.

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Sure, Vista tips will mostly work on 7 too. Over tweaking can mess up a Windows installation, imo. One has to only apply the tweaks which one feels one needs and thst too judiciously

May interest some :
    Make Vista Start, Run, Shutdown Faster !
    Avoid Vista Tweaks Of Doubtful Value
    Arresting Windows Rot

Check out our Ultimate Windows Tweaker , Giz, it may help you apply some useful tweaks, easily.
    I sometime wonder about the real value of tweaks for an average user like myself who just uses their pc for the internet, email, and office work. I'm not sure that I want a pc with "whisltes and bells" just one that works well all the time and does just that. Therefore I agree with you Andy that you should be careful what you use and when you use it

Giz
    Giz is offline Beginner

HappyAndyK:
    Sure, Vista tips will mostly work on 7 too. Over tweaking can mess up a Windows installation, imo. One has to only apply the tweaks which one feels one needs and thst too judiciously.
    True, you can mess up your system, but I'm throwing everything at Windows7 to see if it holds steady. OK so far. Thanks for the Tweaker link.

seti:
    I sometime wonder about the real value of tweaks for an average user like myself who just uses their PC for the internet, email, and office work.
    I'm into my gaming so i want an operating system that's lean and mean. I'm also very impatient and want a PC that boots and loads everything IMMEDIATELY, if not sooner!