Thread: Boot Options : Windows XP / Windows7 32-bit / Windows 7 64-bit

PC_Head is offline Beginner

Default Boot Options : Windows XP / Windows7 32-bit / Windows 7 64-bit

I have a HDD partitioned three ways. For this thread i'll call them A, B and C.

On 'A' is Win XP, on 'B' is Win 7 64-bit and on 'C' is Win 7 32-bit. It will only let me boot into XP or Win 7 32.

I would like to boot into or have the option to boot into Win 7 64.

Is it possible to have the option of all three? Not that i want to boot into three at the same time, but just to have the option.

Can anyone help please??

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by PC_Head View Post
    I have a HDD partitioned three ways. For this thread i'll call them A, B and C.

On 'A' is Win XP, on 'B' is Win 7 64-bit and on 'C' is Win 7 32-bit. It will only let me boot into XP or Win 7 32.

I would like to boot into or have the option to boot into Win 7 64.

Is it possible to have the option of all three? Not that i want to boot into three at the same time, but just to have the option.

Can anyone help please??
    Firstly one question why do you need 7 in 64 & 32 bit? If you have a 64 bit system then you want to install the 64 bit version and if you have a 32 bit then you want the 32 bit. If your BIOS set up is set up for mulit booting then it should find the operating systems, but it may only find XP and 7 in the 32 bit. If you want to boot in the 64 bit then I would suggest that you do that via an external drive

Quote Originally Posted by seti View Post
    Firstly one question why do you need 7 in 64 & 32 bit? If you have a 64 bit system then you want to install the 64 bit version and if you have a 32 bit then you want the 32 bit. If your BIOS set up is set up for mulit booting then it should find the operating systems, but it may only find XP and 7 in the 32 bit. If you want to boot in the 64 bit then I would suggest that you do that via an external drive
    Ok. The reason for it is they are both Betas and id like to find out which will work best for me. I do alot of editing, music and pics. So far it seems like the 32 is faster then the 64 and Xp is slower but has all i need. 6 of 1 and half a dozen of another. I also need to find out/work out what programs that i use will or will not work in the 64 bit. So having said all that, is it possible to do what i want? Im not sure what you mean by boot from an external drive. This is what im thinkg and hoping: turn on the PC, loads for a bit then a boot screen with Xp, 7-32 and 7-64. I choose one of them and bingo. This is what i would like. Can it be done? What is this BIOS multiboot setup? Ive never heard of that.
    Last edited by PC_Head; 27th January 2009 at 10:42.

seti is offline Member

When starting I press f8 and that gives me the options of what to boot from, and if I then choose hard disks it then shows me what OS I have and I can then choose from there. Alternitvely to solve this problem you could try do virtual disks (see guide posted on the forum for help with this)

seti is offline Member

Sorry all I can do is tell you what I do, or what I would do can't help anymore than that

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

Install Xp on primary partition then win 32 on one more partititon and win 64 on the other partition so 3 OS in 3 partitions should do the job.Older OS versions need to be instlalled first but i have a doubt tht it mit give bootloader probs b/w 32 and 64 bit editions..

Quote Originally Posted by knightrider™ View Post
    Install Xp on primary partition then win 32 on one more partititon and win 64 on the other partition so 3 OS in 3 partitions should do the job.Older OS versions need to be instlalled first but i have a doubt tht it mit give bootloader probs b/w 32 and 64 bit editions..
    Yes it does give bootloader problems. Once i install the 64, Xp boot is gone. I tried EasyBCD and made a mistake and it gave so much crao trying to get back the bootloader that i just reinstalled 7 32. I think i might just stick with 7 32 and leave 7 64 alone for a while. Xp and 7 32 both show up on the bootloader now. What ever i did it worked. Thanx for your help tho. Peace

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by PC_Head View Post
    Yes it does give bootloader problems. Once i install the 64, Xp boot is gone. I tried EasyBCD and made a mistake and it gave so much crao trying to get back the bootloader that i just reinstalled 7 32. I think i might just stick with 7 32 and leave 7 64 alone for a while. Xp and 7 32 both show up on the bootloader now. What ever i did it worked. Thanx for your help tho. Peace
    glad you got sorted