Thread: No sound - Windows 7 ?

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Default No sound - Windows 7 ?

hi !

Windows 7 is running fine on my PC, but i have no sound.

i read somewhere, that the drivers from Vista could be used on W7.

where can i find it ?

i have already copied the 3 drivers that are used in Vista to W7, but i canīt get W7 to use them.

i get error message "...installer missing..."

does anyone know how to get the soundcard working ?

PC=dell precision 340, intel 850e motherboard, 82801BA, AD1885 with "AC97"...

roraniel is offline Gold Member

1. Try windows update to see if it updates the driver for you.

2. If that does not work. Go to the computer manufacturers website to get a vista driver and try installing it. If it wont install try installing it in vista compatibility. Right click file, properties, compatibility.

3. Post back results here.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Why don't you just install it thru Device Manager. Then it should find the right one. I had to try 3 times.

James is offline Microsoft MVP

I too have a Dell, and while Win7 had no problems with any of my hardware, you can always download the Vista drivers from the Dell support site. Just put in either model number or your service tag and it will show you the drivers for your particular Dell.
    Hope this helps!

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I too have a Dell, and while Win7 had no problems with any of my hardware, you can always download the Vista drivers from the Dell support site. Just put in either model number or your service tag and it will show you the drivers for your particular Dell.
    Hope this helps!
    There seems to be a lot of problems with Dell James, is it just me noticing it in the posts or are there problems with them? I mean like with this post about sounds for example? not knocking just curious

James is offline Microsoft MVP

I think it is a matter of numbers: a lot of people have Dells, so the amount of posts expressing problems with them rises exponentially. Personally, I have never had a big problem with my Dell Inspiron 6400/1505 (XP/Vista?Win7), other than a nagging sound problem under Vista (intermediate 'crackling' sound) that Win7 solved, happily enough.

PC_Head is offline Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
    hi !

Windows 7 is running fine on my PC, but i have no sound.

i read somewhere, that the drivers from Vista could be used on W7.

where can i find it ?

i have already copied the 3 drivers that are used in Vista to W7, but i canīt get W7 to use them.

i get error message "...installer missing..."

does anyone know how to get the soundcard working ?

PC=dell precision 340, intel 850e motherboard, 82801BA, AD1885 with "AC97"...
    I had the same problem but with my desk top and not a Dell. No audio. I noticed its not like Xp as in the sound will come out of Optical and Analog at the same time, i had to tell Win 7 where to output the audio from. I dont know why they would change this in 7. I dont know if you have already tried this, but if not give it a go.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

hi !

Problem solved: i copied the 2 folders "driverstore" & "drivers" (just in case it was needed) to a USB-memory and than moved it to PC #2.

I then told W7 to update the drivers from the USB-memory.

After checking with devicemanager i see that W7 is using the same drivers as Vista does.

Today i realized that i could have done it more easily as i totally forgot that i had already installed Vista on that PC...

Now audio is working, but watching ANY movie is like looking at a kung-fu movie from hongkong, as there is no audio & video synch.

My PC #2 has exactly the same hardware as PC #1, and i donīt have any problems with movies using Vista on that one.

Now that i have "found" Vista on #2, iīm going to try to play movies with Vista to see what happens.