Thread: Virtual Xp 32 inside Win 7 32

PC_Head is offline Beginner

Default Virtual Xp 32 inside Win 7 32

I would like to know how to setup my already installed Xp inside Win7. They are both on the same HDD. All programs i have D/L.ed to do this want a fresh install of Xp. If i do that, will i be able to access my installed Xp? Im very new to all this virtual stuff and i Do Not want to lose my Xp install. What program will i need to do this please? Ant information will be welcome. Thanx in advance.

Giz
    Giz is offline Beginner

After you've booted into Windows7, you should still be able to access all your XP documents and folders from 'My Computer' on your desktop. How have you got your hard drive set up. Seperate partitions for each operating system?

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Maybe I misunderstood, but if you want to run Windows7 on top of your XP, you might want to read this tutorial I have written for the purpose. ( http://www.winvistaclub.com/forum/wi...partition.html ) It is actually very easy. Use Virtual Box, that is the better of the 2 presented solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Giz View Post
    After you've booted into Windows7, you should still be able to access all your XP documents and folders from 'My Computer' on your desktop. How have you got your hard drive set up. Seperate partitions for each operating system?
    Yes two partitions. The first partition is for Xp and the 2nd 7. I need to run Xp inside 7 cause 7 wont install some of my other programs and to restart just to get to them is a PITA! 7 is now my main OS,

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Maybe I misunderstood, but if you want to run Windows7 on top of your XP, you might want to read this tutorial I have written for the purpose. ( http://www.winvistaclub.com/forum/wi...partition.html ) It is actually very easy. Use Virtual Box, that is the better of the 2 presented solutions.
    No i wish to run Xp inside 7, 7 being my main OS. I am trying to avoid a reinstall of Xp inside 7.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

If W7 is your main OS, you can install Virtual Box on W7 (have not tried that, but it should work) and run XP in a virtual partition there. Then you can switch between W7 and XP with one click (see the thread I linked earlier).
    I would do it the other way around and make XP the host (then you do not need the double boot setup) , but you can try it with W7 as the host.

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    If W7 is your main OS, you can install Virtual Box on W7 (have not tried that, but it should work) and run XP in a virtual partition there. Then you can switch between W7 and XP with one click (see the thread I linked earlier).
    I would do it the other way around and make XP the host (then you do not need the double boot setup) , but you can try it with W7 as the host.
    Thanx. I have tried a number of ways and found, for me the best combo was Win 7 32 inside Win xp sp2 x64. See my thread Virtual Win 7 64 on/in Win xp 64.