Thread: Vista vs Windows 7 x64 benchmark test.

Giz
    Giz is offline Beginner

Default Vista vs Windows 7 x64 benchmark test.

I've got Vista 64 Ultimate and Windows7 64 installed on the same pc, so i decided to compare them back-to-back, using identical bios settings. The benchmark program i used was 3dMark06.

System specs are:
    AMD Phenom x4 9850
    Asus M3A 32MVP Deluxe, Watercooled cpu and chipset
    4Gb (2x2Gb) OCZ Reaper 1066 mhz, DDR2
    Nvidia Geforce 8800gt, default clock speeds. (600, 900, 1500mhz)

CPU mhz(2500) = 2828....Volts (1.3) = 1.47
    FSB(200mhz) = 202mhz
    Ram Freq(533) = 538mhz. Ram Volts (1.8) = 2.1v

The first thing i had to do with Windows7 was update to the latest Nvidia driver to match the Vista install, and also because 3dMark06 wouldn't load using the default driver that was downloaded with the W7 install.
    To make the test as fair as possible, both operating systems had the same antivirus program running, sidebar gadgets and network connection enabled. All other programs were disabled/shutdown.

Test results after running ALL tests available (13 minutes long).

Windows7 Overall score : 12180

SM2.0 .........5174

HDR/SM3.0 .. 5055

CPU Score ....3839

Vista Overall Score : 12084

SM2.0 ........5144

HDR/SM3.0 ..5046

CPU Score....3745

Conclusion, surprisingly close.

I thought Windows7 would come out in front, but by more than it did. There are far fewer services running in the background in Windows7 compared to Vista. I expected this alone to make a big difference between them.

Your thoughts and views on the test and results (apart from stating the obvious that Windows7 is still only a beta version!).......
    Last edited by Giz; 30th January 2009 at 03:46.

kapblp is offline New Member

What about a more real world set of tests. I would include in this ...
    1. Start Up and Shut down times.
    2. Time for copying files over a network and between two hard drives and between hard drive and usb drive and hard drive and CD.
    3. Do something with video rendering and photo rendering.
    4. Play a video game and test frame rates
    5. Speed for starting up huge programs like Adobe's.

Any others you guys can think of?

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

I agree. In performance tests you can usually show any result you want - depending of what you measure. I find restart times of W7 a lot better than with Vista and also the IE8 seems to be faster. For the rest I have no views yet since I run in a virtual partition.

seti is offline Member

Interesting results with and they are very close. Have you tried doing the tests at pcpitstop? Just wondering what their results would show. At this stage it would seem to show that there is not much difference in performance terms between the two which is probably the result of them being built on the same kernel, but I am not technical enough to know if this is true

dmudgal is offline Windows Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by kapblp View Post
    What about a more real world set of tests. I would include in this ...
    1. Start Up and Shut down times.
    2. Time for copying files over a network and between two hard drives and between hard drive and usb drive and hard drive and CD.
    3. Do something with video rendering and photo rendering.
    5. Speed for starting up huge programs like Adobe's.

Any others you guys can think of?
    u stole my words buddy....i can comment on ur fifth yardstick that Adobe Ps works very fluidly in 7

Giz
    Giz is offline Beginner

dmudgal:
    1. Start Up and Shut down times
    Vista takes about 40 seconds to load everything up including system tray programs. There's a lot of hard drive activity though for at least a minute more. Task manager shows a group of sychost services that use a whopping amount of memory while this activity is going on.
    Windows7 loads everything around 50 seconds, but has almost no hard drive activity after the task bar programs are up and running. Seems to be usable quicker than Vista.

3dMark06 test mainly graphics ability and frame rates as well as overall system performance.

seti:
    Have you tried doing the tests at pcpitstop?
    I use pcpitstop all the time after changing any system settings or hardware.
    Here's the latest results from there. I ran the tests a couple of times on each OS to get the best score.

.................... Vista 64 .................................................. .................................................. ................ Windows 7

Anyone here have large file download and transfer times for comparison using both OS's?
    Last edited by Giz; 31st January 2009 at 03:10.