Thread: Virtual Win 7 64 on/in Win xp 64.

PC_Head is offline Beginner

Default Virtual Win 7 64 on/in Win xp 64.

I have just installed a VPC inside my Xp 64 OS. Win 7 64 is the VPC. All 'seems' to be ok but there is a sound problem. I can deal with that. The strange thing is, is that it (win7 64) does not see my other HDD nore the OD (cd-dvd drive) i have installed. I have 6 HDD and 2 OD but only 1 HDD, the one win 7 64 is loaded onto, is seen and only 1 OD. Yet in the host OS, Xp 64 it sees them all, even the HDD win 7 64 is on. Is this common? Oh and do i have to load all the drivers as per usual with the VPC? Thanking you in advanced.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

i think go to computer management in 7 then open storage devices and assign a driver letter to all your drives that are not shown. your disk drives will get shown there..

PC_Head is offline Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by nitinagarwal1988 View Post
    i think go to computer management in 7 then open storage devices and assign a driver letter to all your drives that are not shown. your disk drives will get shown there..
    Thank you for the suggestion but still no go. Computer management in 7 will only show up the HDD that its installed on and the OD the disc was in at the time. Know what i mean? (I can be a bit confusing sometimes, even for myself). Im also running Linux Ubuntu inside my Windows xp 64 and it also only shows the HDD its installed on and the OD it was reed from. Has anyone else noticed this issue? and if you fixed it, how? Thanx in advance.

Giz
    Giz is offline Beginner

Check in your bios. Are all the hard drives listed there? I've not used VPC before so i don't know how it 'sees' attached drives.

Not much help, but when i installed vista 64 it couldn't 'see' either of my IDE hard drives either. I went and bought a sata drive and it installed ok. After installation, all the other hd's showed up as they should. Strange

My Windows 7 64 shows all the drives ok. Two sata and one IDE, dvd drive and card reader.
    Last edited by Giz; 5th February 2009 at 01:07.