DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Windows 7 on the SSD - an experience report

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Default Windows 7 on the SSD - an experience report

After I was able to overcome this stupid problem with the Windows7 installer on the USB stick, the installation from the CD went like on rails. It took about 20 minutes for the installation – but that included my “manual intervention” to set for the German Keyboard and to enter the product key.

In preparation I had formatted the SSD with a 64 alignment. This is how to do it:

1. diskpart (in cmd)
    2. list disk
    3. select disk X (being the SSD)
    4. clean
    5. create partition primary align 64
    6. active
    7. exit

Once I had W7 on the SSD, I made the recommended settings in W7. Those are the functions that need to be tweaked:

• Windows Indexing Service
    • Use Large System Cache
    • Ntfs Memory Usage
    • Disable 8.3 Filenames
    • Disable Date Stamping
    • Disable Pagefile Use (Large RAM Systems)
    • Windows Prefetcher
    • Windows Vista Superfetch

I was not looking forward to do all those by hand. But fortunately some good soul has written a program to do that. You find this program here: http://www.ocztechnologyforum......hp?t=49779

And you have to make sure that the disk Defrag is set off. Never defrag an SSD. That is a) counterproductive and b) unneccessry wear and tear on the SSD.

There are a lot more handy tips on the OCZ Forum e.g. on this thread: http://www.ocztechnologyforum......hp?t=50376

After all this was said and done, I did not make any new performance tests because I have nothing to compare it to (unless I compare apples and oranges). It is, however, amazing, that windows7 now boots in 10 sec to desktop and an additional 2 sec to bring up the startups. It should, however, be said, that I have only Kaspersky and 3 gadgets in addition to the vanilla W7 Beta (build 7000). My “old “ Vista installation with 179 programs installed and 3 virtual partitions needed 300 sec from the HDD and my current Vista with 87 programs and no virtual partitions needs 80 sec from the HDD.

As far as Windows7 goes, I am not a big fan yet. I have been using it quite a bit already in the virtual partition and I am unimpressed. Maybe that will be better when they give us the RC version. Right now there are a lot of functions missing as compared to Vista and the user interface was not changed for the better. Some of the gimmicks they put in, e.g. for the desktop, do not impress me. But then again, it is just a Beta and there is hope.
    Last edited by whs; 4th April 2009 at 17:20.

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

Good to know that you have made it.
    As far as Windows7 goes, I am not a big fan yet. I have been using it quite a bit already in the virtual partition and I am unimpressed
    Not impressed?? I hope you will like the RC.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Nice read. Thanks for sharing your experience, whs

Choto Cheeta is offline Trusted Member

Once I had W7 on the SSD, I made the recommended settings in W7. Those are the functions that need to be tweaked:
    need a better explanation please as the links given by you seem to be broken

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Sorry Choto. The links seem to be indeed broken. I wonder why. Hopefully those will work better:
    SSD Tweak Utility - OCZ Forum
    Guide OCZ SSD...What you need to know in easy to understand format. - OCZ Forum