DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving from Windows 7 Beta to Windows 7 RC

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Post Moving from Windows 7 Beta to Windows 7 RC

Many people are running Windows 7 Beta and Microsoft wants to provide a heads up regarding the behavior of the Release Candidate (RC) as it pertains to upgrades, and ensure that users get the best experience.

We’ve also learned that many of you (millions) are running Windows 7 Beta full time. You’re anxious for a refresh. You’ve installed all your applications. You’ve configured and customized the system. You would love to get the RC and quickly upgrade to it from Beta. The RC, however, is about getting breadth coverage to validate the product in real-world scenarios. As a result, we want to encourage you to revert to a Vista image and upgrade or to do a clean install, rather than upgrade the existing Beta.

Since everyone reading is a well-versed and experienced beta tester you know ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR MACHINE before running any OS installation and NEVER TEST AN OS ON YOUR ONLY COPY OF ANY DATA. Testing a pre-release product means just that—it is testing and it is pre-release. Even though this is a Release Candidate, we are still testing the product. We have very high confidence but even if an error happens once in 1,000,000 we want to make sure everyone is taking the precautions normal for a pre-release product.

One other related caution is INSTALL ONLY OFFICIALLY RELEASED BUILDS FROM MICROSOFT.
    Here’s what you can do to bypass the check for pre-release upgrade IF YOU REALLY REALLY NEED TO:

- Download the ISO as you did previously and burn the ISO to a DVD.
    - Copy the whole image to a storage location you wish to run the upgrade from (a bootable flash drive or a directory on any partition on the machine running the pre-release build).
    - Browse to the sources directory.
    - Open the file cversion.ini in a text editor like Notepad.
    - Modify the MinClient build number to a value lower than the down-level build. For example, change 7100 to 7000 (pictured below).
    - Save the file in place with the same name.
    - Run setup like you would normally from this modified copy of the image and the version check will be bypassed.

iMav is offline Gold Member

Looks like RC is coming!

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

^Yup. My system is ready.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

from very now i will do a fresh install of every further build of W7, as today i upgrade to build 7068 from build 7057 and now some issues are raised in my system after upgrading.....some of them i'll post here later tonite.....

roraniel is offline Gold Member

I have upgraded several times and always do a clean install with out a single issue.

Quote Originally Posted by nitinagarwal1988 View Post
    from very now i will do a fresh install of every further build of W7, as today i upgrade to build 7068 from build 7057 and now some issues are raised in my system after upgrading.....some of them i'll post here later tonite.....

mesaman155 is offline New Member

I can hardly wait. I'm W7 7068 and I luv it.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mesaman155 View Post

I can hardly wait. I'm W7 7068 and I luv it.
    I am at W7 7077 and i too hardly able to wait

James is offline Microsoft MVP

Same here; I did an upgrade from Vista Ultimate; everything seemed to go well and there is a noticable speed improvement, esp. with IE8 page loads.

pyu.agrawal is offline Senior Member

considering RC release date in May, 5 month waiting period from beta to RC is too long

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

IE8 is faster in Vista too. No need to have W7 for that. I am very disappointed of W7. I think it is a giant step backwards. And I really don't care about all the gadgets and eye candy. I rather have real function - of which they took a lot away (at least in the Beta 7000 build).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast