DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How too do a complete fresh install of Windows 7 & all your apps in just a few hours

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Default How too do a complete fresh install of Windows 7 & all your apps in just a few hours

This is not a how too on installing the operating system, that has been done.

As many of you may know, I am a Program Management consultant so I am really into developing and teaching processes and procedures. I also consider computers a hobby and I have kept up to date on the Windows 7 development and have done several fresh installs as knew builds came out.

This is a procedure I developed and use to make a complete fresh install of everything on a PC go as fast as possible. I am making an assumption that you are experienced in the use of Windows and installing third party applications.

Preparation is very important. I use a large external hard drive to backup all my personal files and prepare for the installation of all my apps after installing the OS.

Find procedure here: http://cid-6528c70e1945061b.skydrive...indowsclub.pdf

This should be accomplished in a few hours. I average about 3.5 hours. I do not include personalization of the applications in this estimate because this can be very time consuming. Some applications may offer a settings backup utility so take advantage of this if they offer it and include those files in the backup phase.

If any of this is not clear just post questions and will do my best to answer them

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Downloaded and reading it. Nice work. Sure folks will find it useful

My Windows 7 RC (only) installation took half an hour btw, but the best part is there is no user inputs required once you click on Install.

seti is offline Member

Every one here should be able to follow this nice guide. Having done a complete re-install with my Vista Ultimate, I think the hardest thing to do is to make the coffee while doing so It took me about 3.5 hours to do everything from killing the disk to the completion with everything reinstalled and activation completed, then I do have a very fast broad band connection which helps

Aragor is offline Beginner

Awesome thanks

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

the fresh installation of OS is really a very frustrating and boring task, my complete setup almost takes 2-3 days cozz i feel very bored in installing apps......that guide is really interesting. i too download that....

alsiladka is offline Senior Member

Took my 15 minutes to install Windows 7 RC, followed by the apps in an hour max. Configurations take place as and when i use them. The files get copied back to their original places while the installations take place. So i would say around 2 hours is the max it should take anyone to get their system back to normal functioning.

alpalok is offline New Member

I have a question Randy. I have vista ultimate loaded on my c drive. I would like to load win 7 RC 1 on another partition without losing my vista ultimate and all my other applications which are laso loaded on my c drive. Can I do that ? or to load win 7 do I have lose vista ? Now if I can load win 7 on another partiton when I boot up my PC how will tell my bios when to load vista and when to load win 7 ?
    Pl help me !

Sincerely,

Dr Alok Modi MD

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Hi Alok:

Several members here have done this and may also have some input but here are a couple articles on the subject:

A how to guide to Windows 7 | Owened

Install Windows 7 Alongside Windows Vista for a Dual Boot System

These were found in these two threads:

http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/wind...s-technet.html

http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/wind...s-7-vista.html

Hope this helps.

Randy

Choto Cheeta is offline Trusted Member

Nice... However, if you look at migration, the main problem which majority of users face is with Partitioning !!

The actual instillation GUI is good enough to any end user to complete the process however most of the time, company configured Notebook / Desktop comes with one single partition along with a backup partition.. This is where the I see majority of end users are getting stuck on the fact of repartitioning their HDD without messing up the running OS !!!

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by alpalok View Post
    I have a question Randy. I have vista ultimate loaded on my c drive. I would like to load win 7 RC 1 on another partition without losing my vista ultimate and all my other applications which are laso loaded on my c drive. Can I do that ? or to load win 7 do I have lose vista ? Now if I can load win 7 on another partiton when I boot up my PC how will tell my bios when to load vista and when to load win 7 ?
    Pl help me !

Sincerely,

Dr Alok Modi MD
    If you go to intowindows by tweakwindows there is an excellent and easy guide to follow on how to do this without any problems. THe result being that you have the two OS on your pc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast