DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Unlock different versions of Windows 7 by registry fix

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

Default Unlock different versions of Windows 7 by registry fix

The Windows which was released to MSDN/Technet first and then made available to public includes the downloadable version of Windows 7 Ultimate, so that means to say that it has all the bells and whistles you want to try and would love to be in Windows 7. Now you are confused and might want to try out in office or some place else or would prefer to buy once Windows 7 is made to be sold then with the help of a small registry change you can unlock other editions.

Steps for unlocking are

* Download the ISO.You might have done this already and copy all the files to a folder on your drive.
    * Open the Sources folder inside the folder where you copied it and give a search for the file name “EI.cfg”. Once you get the file delete it.
    * Now run Setup.exe and proceed the way you install Windows 7 and now you can choose the Edition you want to test or install.
    * The Product key you have wont work with this so leave the space blank.

Source

roraniel is offline Gold Member

I am still confused. Is this saying it installs Ultimate or it does not install Ultimate. My fresh install of the public release says Windows 7 Ultimate in computer properties.

RC comes with Windows 7 ultimate but if you want other versions to be installed then tweak the EI.cfg file..

nirmaltv is offline Microsoft MVP

I guess the RC is the Ultimate version, then why would any one want to install lower versions?

roraniel is offline Gold Member

OK I understand now. I figured the other versions were there because in build 7057 or 7068 I actually had to choose which version to install.

Quote Originally Posted by nirmaltv View Post
    I guess the RC is the Ultimate version, then why would any one want to install lower versions?
    if they want to try other versions so that they can see how the other versions are and then buy the one they feel like once windows 7 is up for sale.

nirmaltv is offline Microsoft MVP

Quote Originally Posted by knightrider™ View Post
    if they want to try other versions so that they can see how the other versions are and then buy the one they feel like once windows 7 is up for sale.
    May be thats true, but versions are almost similar to the ones in Vista. It could be useful for home users to select the best version. But if they want to try out all the version, wouldnt they need to install all the versions?

iMav is offline Gold Member

I know of people who are running different SKUs on different machines. RC is not only meant for home users. Its a much wider audience that includes system builders, reviewers etc. enthusiasts are only a part of the people who try out new builds. Paul Thurrot has been publishing lengthy guides on differences in the SKUs.

I'm sure you know of the wallpaper changing restriction in Starter edition, who would've known if Rafael hadn't installed the Starter edition.

But then again thats my opinion.

Thanks for the guide, knightrider.

Quote Originally Posted by nirmaltv View Post
    But if they want to try out all the version, wouldnt they need to install all the versions?

yes at present RC is the one which comes with Ultimate and they have no option left other than tweaking file if they need to see the different SKU's

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

nice trick thanks for this, i like to check the business version of W7 RC, i watched the video of W7 business RC on you tube, the logon screen is of simple sky blue color not like that of Ultimate. i used the home premium of W7 beta few months ago when beta was released...