DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Microsoft finally acknowledges Windows 7 will ship in 2009

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

Exclamation Microsoft finally acknowledges Windows 7 will ship in 2009

Microsoft officials are finally admitting what many company watchers, customers and partners have known for a while: Windows 7 is going to ship in 2009.

Specifically, Windows 7 is going to be generally available in time for holiday 2009. Windows Server 2008 R2 will ship “in the same timeframe,” officials are conceding.

Windows client officials are still declining to provide a release-to-manufacturing (RTM) target for Windows 7. (Update: At the very end of a May 11 posting on the Engineering Windows 7 blog, the Windows 7 leaders say they’re about three months from RTM as of today.) They aren’t talking about when volume licensees will be able to get the bits. They still haven’t acknowledged the start date for the expected free upgrade program, via which users buying new PCs will get a Windows 7 upgrade for free. (The rumored date for that is July 1, by the way.) And the Win client team is still not mentioning an actual general availability target (not even a month) or a launch date.

If I assume PC makers might only need two months or so (given that the Win 7 code base doesn’t include a bunch of major changes like Vista’s did) — and a recent Acer exec’s slip-up claiming Acer would be able to ship new PCs preloaded with Windows 7 by late October 2009 — I’d say Windows 7 looks like it could RTM by late August or early September. I’m betting the “launch” will be November 2009. (Not a bad guess, given the Engineering Windows 7 post saying RTM is about three months away — with all the usual “we won’t ship until it’s ready” caveats, of course.)

Even though Windows client officials like to claim that less information is more when it comes to date transparency, that’s not true. I continue to get questions from readers as to whether they should hold off on buying new PCs this year in the hopes that Windows 7 machines might be available. And more than a few businesses, especially smaller ones who are still on XP, are wondering the same. But Microsoft’s only guidance continues to be that businesses should move to Vista now so they can test which apps and hardware will and won’t run it, so that they can move to Win 7 more easily once it is out.

Microsoft’s pronouncement that Windows 7 will be generally available in the fourth quarter of this year means it won’t be out in time for the back-to-school 2009 season. Windows 7 PCs would need to be available by August/September for that. It’s hard to tell if the Windows client team is still playing its “worst-case” ship date game so that they can underpromise and overdeliver Windows 7 earlier than most are expecting. But if Microsoft really isn’t going to get Windows 7 out until Q4, back-to-school preloads are out of the picture.

Source | ZDNet Blogs

Choto Cheeta is offline Trusted Member

Acer said, they Win7 would available to be purchased at their end by Oct 23rd, where as some are predicting that Win7 RTM would be available for sale by Oct 15..

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_rc_04.asp

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

Yes, it should be available in October. I am very happy that its getting tons of positive reviews.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

BTW I think Windows 7 may be available in Oct for Enterprises and in Dec for general public.

ax89 is offline Beginner

Has Microsoft said yet what they are doing for those of us stuck with Vista?

I read in another forum that MS is going to reduce the supported life for Vista. It would seem like a big win for them if they could get everyone off Vista onto Win7.

seti is offline Member

We all here knew it would come quickly didn't we. That was why I have not downloaded the RC1. Even if it is released this year, I shall wait, because I am very happy with Vista

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by ax89 View Post
    Has Microsoft said yet what they are doing for those of us stuck with Vista?

I read in another forum that MS is going to reduce the supported life for Vista. It would seem like a big win for them if they could get everyone off Vista onto Win7.
    I aint heard about Windows Vista Life Cycle is reduced. But there are few proofs are spreading over the internet, Windows Vista SP3 lives.

Choto Cheeta is offline Trusted Member

But there are few proofs are spreading over the internet, Windows Vista SP3 lives.
    Read some thing on ZDNet that with Win7 public RC hype, MS delayed the public delivery of the Vista SP 2 RTM

leofelix is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Choto Cheeta View Post
    Read some thing on ZDNet that with Win7 public RC hype, MS delayed the public delivery of the Vista SP 2 RTM
    Do you mean this?

Microsoft Update Product Team Blog : Get ready for Vista and Win2k8 SP2!

mrsudz is offline New Member

To me the Windows 7 is Vista with a little update or big service pack. I have the RC on my laptop and its good. But not really all that different then Vista.
    The big issue is that the consumer base has been feed the Apple propaganda machine and of course the drivers for Vista in the beginning were bad.

I have Vista 64 and I love it. I have no issues with it and it never crashes. I do have updated hardware with 4 Gigs of ram. I most likely will wait on 7 to be mature before I reload all of my applications and Games.

Testing in 3D graphics are neck to Neck Vista to W7.
    So I will wait to see if the performance gap widens.