Thread: Portable external drives doesn't show up

MrVegas is offline New Member

Thumbs down Portable external drives doesn't show up

I'm running Win 7, RC1 and it's great. However, my portable drives don't show up when I plug them in. I have an external Maxtor 250 that connects to the same computer via USB and it works fine. But the portables do not.

One is a SimpleTech 120GB and the other is an Iomega 250GB. Both work fine when I plug them into my laptop running Vista. But in my desktop, nothing.

I hear the drivers load up but that is as far as it goes.

Any ideas? Is there a port issue I don't know about? Firewall thing? Whats up?

-MrVegas

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

When I installed win 7 on my PC I found that one hard drive was also missing but when I went to computer management the drive was there but no drive letter had been assigned.

go to control panel then select administrative tools. from there go to computer management then storage then disk manager.

from here you can see if you hard drive has been assigned a drive letter.

if not check your device manager to check to see if the drivers are up to date.

This drive doesn't show up there. No errors or anything I can point to. But I know these two externals work. I just don't understand why not in Windows 7.

-MrVegas

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

Sorry I cannot help any further with this issue but I am sure one of my fellow members will be able to.

JR

Quote Originally Posted by johnny.rotton View Post
    Sorry I cannot help any further with this issue but I am sure one of my fellow members will be able to.

JR
    I appreciate it man. This one should be a no brainer for me but I'm not real swift where these are concerned it seems. I'm not even real sure which of the two USB connectors should be plugged in and why? Or if both should be plugged in.

-MrVegas