DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Any way to change video format in Windows 7 Media Center

Samaell is offline New Member

Question Any way to change video format in Windows 7 Media Center

Hi I have started using media center to record tv shows ..is there any way to change the video format that MC records in as i have no editing software that supports the format.

any help would be greatly appreciated and profusely thanked

estra is offline Windows Enthusiast

It is not possible to tell Media Center to record in any another format. The reason for the format lock-in, is so that copy protected broadcasts would be recorded with DRM, which popular formats like Xvid are lacking.

Please access Wikipedia article on DVR-MS to see what your options are in terms of editing.

I have not been recording anything myself as of yet, but from what I've read elsewhere, Windows 7 Media Center now records in WTV file format, and you would need first to convert WTV to DVR-MS, by right-clicking the DVR-MS and choosing the appropriate action (conversion of copy protected recordings may not work).
    Last edited by estra; 21st September 2009 at 07:25.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

You can use Format Factory ( Format Factory - Free media file format converter ) to convert. That is a really good programs which does conversions without quality loss.