DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Windows 7 gets its first update

estra is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default Windows 7 gets its first update

If I am not mistaken, the following is the first update that has been released for Windows 7:

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Application Compatibility Update

Introduction

The Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Application Compatibility Update is a software update that improves the compatibility experience in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. Microsoft regularly releases Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Application Compatibility Updates.

The kinds of problems that are resolved by application compatibility updates

The kinds of problems that are resolved by application compatibility updates
    When you try to install and run certain legacy games or applications in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:

* The game, the application, or the firmware is installed incorrectly.
    * The game, the application, or the firmware causes system instability.
    * The primary functions of the game, the application, or the firmware do not work correctly.

Happy updating!

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

yeah just installed it ....

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB974332)

Download size: 1.7 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Recommended

Install this update to resolve issues with non-compatible applications for Windows 7. For complete details of this update, see Knowledge Base Article KB974332. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
    Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Application Compatibility Update

Help and Support:
    Microsoft Help and Support

seti is offline Member

Perhaps it may be worthwhile waiting for the first service pack to come out before moving to it, that way most of the "bugs" will have been worked through. It is no real suprise that updates are needed now.

iMav is offline Gold Member

hah! Well that was true for both XP & Vista but I guess Win 7 is fine by itself. Such flaws always keep surfacing.

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

No need to wait for SP1, seti. It's the most stable OS in the history of Microsoft.

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by tweakwindows View Post
    No need to wait for SP1, seti. It's the most stable OS in the history of Microsoft.
    I know to trust what you say my friend, but what I am really waiting for is your complete windows 7 item, then I know to go ahead with it.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by tweakwindows View Post
    I hope you are right. But experience would tell me that the human species (including MS programmers) have not undergone such a sudden change that they do not make mistakes. The rule of thumb in my experience was 1 bug per 1000 lines of code (in a first release). And that had not changed in 40 years.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    hah! Well that was true for both XP & Vista but I guess Win 7 is fine by itself. Such flaws always keep surfacing.
    Well said. No need to wait SPs, Windows 7 is already better than earlier version of Windows with SPs.

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

I hope you are right. But experience would tell me that the human species (including MS programmers) have not undergone such a sudden change that they do not make mistakes. The rule of thumb in my experience was 1 bug per 1000 lines of code (in a first release). And that had not changed in 40 years.
    I am not saying that Windows 7 is 100% perfect. There are and there will bugs if they release SP5 also. But it's very stable than Vista.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

Another update is now available also :
    Update for Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack

Download size: 325 KB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

This update improves performance and reliability of Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack.

More information:
    You cannot sign in to Windows Live Web sites in Internet Explorer 8 after you install Windows Live Toolbar on a Windows XP-based computer

Help and Support:
    Windows Live Help