DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Submit Windows 7 RTM bugs

Jal
    Jal is offline Windows Enthusiast

Exclamation Submit Windows 7 RTM bugs

I have been noticing this since 20+ days but thought it is just me. But now I think I have to bring this forward. This is something related to the displaying of long date in the notification area.

I have modified the way it displays the date in my notification area. I want it to display in the format: "August 31, 2009" And there is a facility to do tht in Windows 7. But the bug triggers when specific months are encountered. It stops displaying the date all of a sudden. Turns out, months having more than 7 characters in its name triggers this because there is "not enough space" left to display the month. Even resizing the taskbar doesnt work. Is this a bug or anybody knows a solution to this? And plz dont tell me to change the format coz thts not actually a solution right?

Pankaj is offline Senior Member

Will someone tell us where we can submit such Windows 7 RTM bugs or issues?????

James is offline Microsoft MVP

Jal, how did you get the notification area to display the 'long date'? I can't seem to switch mine from 26/09/2009 to September 26, 2009. I must be missing a step somewhere...

iMav is offline Gold Member

Verified. Seems like a bug. James, changing the settings Customize Menu to read as posted in screenshot allows you to set it to show month. Apparrently for September it doesn't.

Jal

Thanks mods for making this sticky. James, use 'MMMM' for displaying the month in full and the rest is as usual (dd and yyyy)

James is offline Microsoft MVP

OK, I can verify this behaviour too. I left it at MMM dd, yyyy to get Sep 26, 2009 at least.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

I just come to know that if you have any such type of problem with any of Microsoft product. you can report it by mailing it to connect@microsoft.com

rkonit is offline Gold Member

What ? It is bug... in Windows 7 RTM.

It could be bug due to Clock Width while Taskbar docked to bottom and top only.

We are trying long Date VARIANTS in Short Date format...
    If you wanna get this Sep 26, 2009 only, why don't you try

MMM dd, yyyy

BTW MMMM dd, yyyy works.................see

Jal

@Ramesh Kumar Thats right, but my point is, the notification area shows the format specified in "Short Date" text box only. Now the 'MMMM dd, yyyy" format works fine for some months but messes up in some. And no, this bug is not restricted to the position of the taskbar. It remains there even though the taskbar is shifted to all four sides. The reason is also obvious. Lack of space. But it should not happen. And I dont know how you managed to display the month properly but this is all I get, even after resizing the taskbar:

Messes up some months (in this case, September)

Displays fine though in some:
    Last edited by Jal; 29th September 2009 at 19:57.