DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Can a specific restore point be marked for an indefinite retainment?

estra is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default Can a specific restore point be marked for an indefinite retainment?

I'd like to ask if anyone is aware of some way, if that is possible at all, how can an individual restore point be made to stay forever, that is, not pushed back out of existence by newer restore points?

After the latest batch of Windows updates I cannot adjust screen brightness on my notebook anymore, and it has been made half-dimmed. I have done a restore before updates were installed, and everything went to normal. However I forgot to switch off auto-update and so updates were installed again anyway. Additionally, after installing more applications with their own restore points, that (pre-Windows updates) restore point does not exist anymore and now I am stuck with dimmed screen. Uninstalling Windows updates does not help.

Now I would have to do a system refresh (re-install) earlier then planned...

Will do Windows updates first, then install all other stuff (drivers, apps) and hopefully my screen problem will not return.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Pankaj is offline Senior Member

Even i want to know and do this.

Thank you for the answer Andy! I suspected that restore points might be chained together, but wanted to know for sure.

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by estra View Post
    Thank you for the answer Andy! I suspected that restore points might be chained together, but wanted to know for sure.
    It is easy to forget the simple things sometimes when you are working all the time and may not do them as often as other things. I found your question interesting and we must not foget that there are many here who will not be as experienced as we are.

Whiggy is offline New Member

Lightbulb Specific Restore Point

Not sure if this can be done using restore points, but can it be done using a utility such as ERUNT ERUNT which seems to be able to restore the registry to a previous version? I have not fully checked this out yet.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

The best approach to that valid problem would be to use an imaging program. Here is a selection ( 7 Freeware Acronis True Image & Norton Ghost Alternatives ) and then there is Easus and a whole lot of commercial options (Ghost, Acronis, etc.).

Thank you for this selection! Will investigate.