DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Which Windows 7 is right for you?

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

Lightbulb Which Windows 7 is right for you?

Windows 7 is officially released to the public on Thursday. CNET provides information on just what you're getting with your Windows 7 Starter, Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate, take a look at the chart and explanation below.

Although it sounds full-featured, Home Premium definitely offers less than Windows 7 Pro or Windows 7 Ultimate. Location-aware printing, presentation mode, and XP Mode are not available. Neither is BitLocker, AppLocker, the remote desktop host feature, nor Aero glass via remote. AppLocker is the new feature that allows system administrators to restrict program access from the Group Policy settings. You also can't use the Windows 7 Backup and Restore feature to work with network drives, just like Windows 7 Starter. That feature doesn't come in until the Pro version.

Windosw 7 Professional is the power user edition of the new operating system, retailing for $199.99. In addition to all the features in the Home Premium edition, Pro is designed to be flexible for dual use in the home and small business. It will support up to 192GB of physical RAM in 64-bit mode, it supports legacy Windows XP productivity programs via XP Mode, it can work with two physical processors, and it can back up your data to a networked drive. It still lacks the AppLocker and BitLocker features, it can't handle the pretty but superfluous remote Aero glass support, and it lacks the multilingual interface support pack.

Windows 7 Ultimate, retailing for $219.99, supports those features plus virtual hard-disk booting and a subsystem for Unix applications. Although it's possible to conceive of some home uses for Ultimate, the features that separate it from Windows 7 Pro set it in a class that's almost exclusively for intensive international or network use. For most office or home power users, it's not really recommended.

CNET Reviews

seti is offline Member

Forgive me, but this or very similar has been posted before on here hasn't it ?

vtechtip is offline New Member

Home Premium is enough for me, but I want Professional.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Ultimate choice for Ultimate people, but I like to pick Professional and Enterprise editions.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

... and if you are not sure which edition is right for you ... then the right edition for you is Windows 7 Home Premium

Only Ultimate suits to me.....
    I have no other option to select

window789 is offline New Member

I like Windows 7 Professional.

did anyone tried to install two editions of Windows 7 on a single PC ??