DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Windows users should wait before upagrading to 7

seti is offline Member

Default Windows users should wait before upagrading to 7

I came across this article

Wait on 7?
    Users should delay Windows 7 upgrade, support firm warns

at computerworld.com. Thought I would post it here to see what the thoughts were on this.

iMav is offline Gold Member

The reasons are bogus IMHO. Data loss during the switch & tough economic times... geez! And they call themselves a "computer support firm". Pathetic!

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Interesting but not relevant. With proper planning, migration should be smooth. What halfwit would migrate without backing up his own data.

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

^ Agreed I have a laptop that has been running RTC since the start and I have had no Issues. I done a clean install of 7 yesterday on my main PC apart from flash player on IE 64 no issues. But thats no Windows fault thats because flash has no support for working in 64 bit environment to date.

seti is offline Member

So far the posts here reflect my own thoughts on this, as I felt they might. Thank you for posting

jim2710 is offline New Member

When I installed "7" I was upgrading from Vista Premium Home and it told me that I couldn't transfer files and I needed to to a "clean" install. When it finished the first thing I did was to check the "c:" drive properties and I was shocked to see that my drive was 3/4 FULL! I then checked the drives folders and - lo and behold - there was a directory called "windows.old" and windows 7 did, in fact, transfer everything from Vista. But I now have two Windows directories using a LOT of space. I haven't deleted the "windows.old" yet, because there are some things I have yet to transfer to to 7. But not the most trust inducing feeling right from the start.

Jal
    Jal is offline Windows Enthusiast

Not finding any substantial reason to go according to their way. Their reasons for 'not to switch' are really lame.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

Well I prefer a fresh install of Windows instead of an update...It's really boring first to install vista and after that upgrade it with Windows 7......really time consuming....

spaul40 is offline New Member

Talking Weak article in Computerworld

For the user who complained about the endless reboot, that problem has been solved and it isn't an MS problem. Do a clean install (instead of an upgrade) and it will get rid of that problem. I have upgraded 3 of my 5 PC's including my Netbook (N270, 2Gb, 160Gb) with Win 7 Premium and it runs better than it did on XP Home. All other PC's have XP Pro; therefore, I will be doing clean installs on all. I have a copy of 7 Ultimate and 7 Professional for the last 2 PC's,

So far, I couldn't be happier. While on the road with the Netbook, it was simple to find and connect to the Wi-FI connections just letting Win 7 show you what to do. All peripherals work just fine on the home network from Win 7.
    The only argument for not upgrading now is price. Hopefully, MS will bring back the family 3-pack for $150. Although this inhibits sales of new PC's, this is not the time for Microsoft to be acting as Scrooge with the poor economy.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

With all that said, I would, however, be cautious with Win7 64bit. There seem to be some drivers missing and a lot of programs that we became used to do not work yet. I am sure that will be ironed out in a year from now, but right now 32bit is probably the preferred version. My 32bit Win7 runs like on rails.