DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: trouble going back to windows vista from windows 7

granlibond is offline New Member

Default trouble going back to windows vista from windows 7

I have now for 2-3 weeks run windows 7 Enter Price (90-day license) on my HP pavilion dv b6740eo, but have trouble going back to windows vista home Prenium.

On my HP Pavilion dv 6740eo was the vista home Prenium preinnstaled when I bought it. It did not come with vista instalasjonsdvd, but it was a separate recovery partition on the hard disk to be used to reset to factory condition. In addition I burned out 2 dvds that could be used independend of this partition if the partition was corrupted

I have taken several image with Norton Ghost 14.0 when I had vista and saved it on an external hard drive.

I downloaded Windows 7 enterprice (90-day license), burned it to dvd and instaled it on my laptop. It went just fine and has since worked just fine for 3 weeks. Took system image with Windows 7 and stored it in a hard drive and burned a system recovery cd.

Would like to continue with Windows 7, but it will cost more than it tastes, so I tried to go back to a previous ghost image of vista. This was very problematic and had problems with booting. Got error message that newinstaled hardware or software could cause it. I also got error message in Norton Ghost that the target drive and sourtsch drive was invalid.

Also tried to set it back to factory condition with HP's tools, but this failed too. It stopped half way in this operation and could not perform.
    The solution was that I deleted all the partitions on the hard disk and then used ghost 14.0 to install a previous vista image on unallacoted space. This went fine, but after some updates and after the service Pack1 failed 2 times, and (3 time it was put on hold), and after a single update (about 4.9 mb) I finally got the same error again message that this is caused by nyinated hardware or software.

Finaly I used my windows 7 recovery cd and it burned back a windows 7 Enterprice image, and now i have windows 7 again.

What can be the cause of these problems and what do I need to go back to vista when lisencperioden of 90 days expires. When vista worked flawlessly before I instaled windows 7 so it must be something that windows 7 do with my computer, or it can of course be a hardware problems that windows 7 tackles but that vista does not, but it sounds a bit unlikely, bacause i had now problem with vista before all this.

Hope someone can help me with this.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Its not problem with Windows 7.
    Use FixWU to fix update problems and Try to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 manually.
    Download: FixWU v1.0

I didn't understand, why you opted to upgrade Windows Vista to Windows 7 90 day trial, if you wanted to revert back after expiration.

I'd like to suggest, keep your Vista partition aside and do clean install of trial copy.

granlibond is offline New Member

Default Thank you for suport

I tried using ghost again and i sucsesfully recovered a image from another eksternal drive.
    The problem i exsperiened first was probebly related to some problem with my another eksternal drive.
    i descovered that this drive somtimes dropt out, because of some hardware or software problem.
    (I'm just know using windows to cheking the filsystem and sectors for problem. )

I think that my problem with service pack 1 was not related to the first problem I had.
    This time I downloaded service pack 1 and 2 stand-alones, and the instalation went fine.
    I.m not sure what is casing the trouble with the HP recovery,
    because i used 2 hp recovery dvd's that suposed to work independend of the recovery partition on the drive.

You suggested, "keep your Vista partition aside and do clean install of trial copy". Did you mean to set up a doolboot with 7 and vista, or can i just install windows 7 in one partition and make that partition activ, and when i want to go back i can then make the vista partition activ again, or will It be some problems with booting?

rkonit is offline Gold Member

I talked to setup dual boot, becoz you know Windows 7 Trial copy will expire and you will have to revert back to Windows Vista.