DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Explorer crashing

Newy is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default Explorer crashing

Guys I am having a prob with explorer in W7 constantly crashing on right click...Ihave searched net for an answer as I always do and it maybe to do with context menus but I can never understand the answers.I much prefer my buddies here cas it always seems so simple....so any ideas guys?

Newy

seti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Newy View Post
    Guys I am having a prob with explorer in W7 constantly crashing on right click...Ihave searched net for an answer as I always do and it maybe to do with context menus but I can never understand the answers.I much prefer my buddies here cas it always seems so simple....so any ideas guys?

Newy
    has it just started or been that way for a long time? If just started then go back and do a system restore to the last time before it started (ie when evertyhting ok). If for long time do a system check to see if that sorts it.

leofelix is offline Member

Did you install some new software recently maybe?

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

If it happens only after you right click, maybe its one of the context menu items which may have been added recently by some 3rd party software. Try removing some recent one's. See Edit Context Menu Items In Windows 7 & Vista Also see Point 8 of Windows Explorer Crashes Or Freezes Frequently . Or see if you can consider a system restore.

riteshtechie is offline Software Developer

post psr log here

Newy is offline Windows Enthusiast

Thanks guys for the support I originally did a windows 7 upgrade over the top of Vista...It was ok but it just didnt feel stable so I too the plunge and installed clean the difference is unbelievable and maybe something to consider if anyone is upgrading...

The Explorer problem seems common espc if you have Intel proc....anyway if anyone else as this prob use regedit..o "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ ContextMenuHandlers" Tidy this up then you need to test each entry to see which is the bug best using Autoruns for control rather than the export method some are suggesting....my prob was

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Br iefcaseMenu]
    @="{85BBD920-42A0-1069-A2E4-08002B30309D}

This again seems common so maybe first to try ...I jus deleted it and it seems to be cool.......

Jonah strikes again...
    Peace....Newy