DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: administrator access denied

artiem is offline New Member

Default administrator access denied

I have installed Windows7 Ultimate and it is running fine. I have only one (user) account set up from the original installation and it is an administrator account. There are several folders in C: drive that have a padlock on them and trying to open them gives 'Access Denied' message. I look in permissions and administrators have full control. Can someone explain this to me. I have searched for help on this to no avail. When I use WinXP I have complete access to everything and I want this also in Win7. Thanks for any and all replies. ArtieM

Cithel is offline Senior Member

Hi, which folders are you talking about? Also was this an upgrade installation or clean install?

arvind_kumar is offline Senior Member

Smile Soln: Access denied

Quote Originally Posted by artiem View Post
    I have installed Windows7 Ultimate and it is running fine. I have only one (user) account set up from the original installation and it is an administrator account. There are several folders in C: drive that have a padlock on them and trying to open them gives 'Access Denied' message. I look in permissions and administrators have full control. Can someone explain this to me. I have searched for help on this to no avail. When I use WinXP I have complete access to everything and I want this also in Win7. Thanks for any and all replies. ArtieM
    Hi,
    Till where i think you are talking about the folders like "Perflogs", "Documents and Settings" etc. which are at root of C:\ (or your sys drive).

And when try to open these kinds of folders then you get following message:

Here is the properties of the folder:

But as here you can notice that full control is given to the Administrator account but you are logged in with different account which is not the administrator account but it is the account having "Administrator" privilege.
    So if you want to access then you have to take ownership of those folders by adding your user name to the permissions for of the folders and thats why you get the padlock over such folders.
    If you won't satisfied then reply i'll get you solve the prob. But this time be specific about the problem by giving the exact error message and try to give the screen shots. Ok

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Hold on..... I would like to say somthing about such folders called Directory Junction used to provide compatibility for legacy applications.

These are not ordinary folders. So leave it. Btw the personal folders (User profile, Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos, Application Data and so on) locations have been changed since Windows Vista.

Managing Roaming User Data Deployment Guide

Cithel is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramesh Kumar MVP View Post
    These are not ordinary folders. So leave it. Btw the personal folders (User profile, Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos, Application Data and so on) locations have been changed since Windows Vista.
    Yeah thats why I was asking which folders before answering the question. My other thought was that if it was an upgrade there might be some remnants hanging around.

Have a good one,
    Cith

artiem is offline New Member

Arvind Kumar, this is exactly what I was looking for. Adding my [username] to the permissions did the trick. Still trying to do the mental conversions from Windows XP. Thanks for your help. Glad I came accross this forum.
    Last edited by artiem; 25th November 2009 at 02:49. Reason: credit to Arvind Kumar's reply