DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Run As Functionality Broken

bspus is offline New Member

Default Run As Functionality Broken

I had my system setup such that I would normally log on as a limited user.
    No UAC was necessary, since everytime I wanted to do administrative tasks, it would ask for the administrator password.

It all worked beautifully for a while. At some point it just stopped working. Anytime I tried to right click run as administrator, it would just launch the process normally, without asking for a password and of course without granting the privileges

Admitedly, I have been tweaking my system services. The service related to run as is secondary logon, which i had on manual and failed to start. I have since made it automatic and restarted multiple times. It still doesnt work, although the service now starts.

I logged on to the actual administrator desktop (that one still works thankfully, I have not lost control of the system). I created a test user account (limited again). I tried run as on that, still doesn't work

I really dont want to revert to promoting my normal account to administrator with UAC. The way UAC works is hardly any real protection at all and I believe will soon be routinely exploited. I want to run limited.
    Having to constantly switch user desktop to do admin tasks or even run old programs that dont work right is a nuissance though

Has this happened to anyone else? I can't seem to find any remedy for it, short of reformatting which i don't wanna do

Cithel is offline Senior Member

Is Application Information Service running on automatic?

bspus is offline New Member

I had it on manual too, although it had started on its own.

I put it on automatic now and restarted, still the same thing.

Although by the description which I just read now, I see I shouldn't have touched it...

Still I can't understand how I mess it up in such a way that a reboot couldnt fix it