DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: IE 8 64bit and non-64bit at same time

warhawks is offline New Member

Default IE 8 64bit and non-64bit at same time

Ok, I was running Vista 64-bit and then I decided to take the easy way out and do an upgrade to Win 7 over-the-top of Vista. Once I did this, I noticed that I have two versions of IE.

One version sits in this directory:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer

And, the other one sits in this directory:
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer

When ever a program attempts to launch IE (via a link, etc.), it attempts to load the non-64bit version (C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer) and that version crashes (all the time). When I do file associations, I select the IE program that reside in the x86 directory, but it still defaults to the other version. Any ideas on how to fix this?

I will eventually be doing a clean install on a SSD which I believe will fix the problem, but that is a couple of months away.

Thanks

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

You will still end up with two versions of IE sadly though you cant view flash on 64bit as its not supported as yet so you will still need the 32 bit version. This is why it is the default version, hope this helps. Jr

Picture clean install of Windows 7 64 bit Home premium.

warhawks is offline New Member

Thanks Johnny, but my regular version of IE doesn't work (co-exist) with the 64-bit version after the over-the-top upgrade.

mara- is offline Beginner

Ho do you mean does not work? Can you give more detail what's happening?

Cheers