DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: All new folders become write protected in Windows

Greenthumb is offline New Member

Default All new folders become write protected in Windows

Hi! Just bought myself a new computer, a Acer Aspire 7730. It came with Vista Home installed, and merely everything was blocked. UAC, firewall, but worst of all I could not change the permissions for the folders on the computer!

All new folders I made became write-protected as default and when I changed, it went back to it`s default state the same instant I pressed "OK".

Tried "everything" including bringing out the hidden administrator account and using this. Formated the drive and installed Windows7 Ultimate, but the same godamn problem persists! I can`t even save while playing games because all the folders are write protected :P

Any tips how to stop this?

seti is offline Member

If there is nothing on the hard drive that you want, then I would be tempted to use Killdisk, from killdisk.com and completely kill off everything and then re-install Windows on the "new" hard drive. Only do this if you are completely sure of the above because once done it can not be undone. Other than that I don't know if Ultimate Windows Tweaker (available here, do a search to get the link) might have something on it to help you.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

To view or to remove the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Vista or Windows 7

1. Click Start, type cmd in search pane, and then run it with admin privileges.
    2. Execute attrib command. To view the syntax for the Attrib command, type attrib /? at the command prompt.

To remove the Read-only attribute and to set the System attribute, use the following command:

attrib -r +s drive:\<path>\<foldername>

For example, to remove the Read-only attribute and to set the System attribute for the C:\Test folder, use the following command:

attrib -r +s c:\test

Be aware that some programs may not operate correctly with folders for which the System attribute and the Read-only attribute are set. Therefore, use the following command to remove these attributes:

attrib -r -s drive:\<path>\<foldername>

For example, to remove both the Read-only and the System attributes from the C:\Test folder, use the following command:

attrib -r -s c:\test

This may help more:
    You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

rkonit is offline Gold Member

@nitinagarwal1988 READ CAREFULLY. He is asking about Permissions, you suggested about attributes.

Broken ACL Inheritance may cause such permissions issues. You can try this.
    Run CMD as Administrator and execute the following command for the particular drive/Folder/files

Code:
    icacls <Drive_Letter> /grant BUILTIN\Users:(OI)(CI)(M)

edee is offline Windows Enthusiast

Cool

Usually when I buy a new computer , ESPECIALLY if it is store bought , the very first thing I do after pulling it out of the box and connecting it up is a reformat and reinstall of the OS.

umanggupta is offline New Member

Thanks r.k. Worked great for me....