DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: reinstall from rc to retail help

slash32487 is offline New Member

Default reinstall from rc to retail help

I am running windows 7 rc on my office touchsmart.
    I am working off office 2010 beta as well.
    Since they both are not completely stable, I got a copy of w7retail so I can run off that rather than the rc.

now my problem is a couple things

1 i don't want to lose data so i need a recommendation on backup software. If there is such a thing like the blackberry desktop manager for a computer that would be ideal. Where it backs everything up including apps and when ready applied to new phone well in this case my computer.

2 i want to format my computer before installing w7 retail im assuming it is recommended to install vista x64 and then w7 on top also please give input

Thanks
    Ralph

Cithel is offline Senior Member

There are a lot of backup programs around and a few people here have made very good recommendations on them so I'll leave that to others.

Quote Originally Posted by slash32487 View Post
    If there is such a thing like the blackberry desktop manager for a computer that would be ideal.
    If there was I would probably not use it. I'd want to do a clean install of all my applications to avoid issues down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by slash32487 View Post
    i want to format my computer before installing w7 retail im assuming it is recommended to install vista x64 and then w7 on top also please give input
    It would depend if you purchased a full or upgrade version of Windows 7. But even if you purchased an upgrade version I would still do a clean install. There is a through explanation of how to do this here: Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media

By the way, as long as you own the upgrade license and you own a valid license of a qualifying upgradeable product this doesn't violate the EULA.

slash32487 is offline New Member

There are a lot of backup programs around and a few people here have made very good recommendations on them so I'll leave that to others.
    anyone have one?

tweakwindows is offline Microsoft MVP

There are several good (free) backup solution. You can use Easeus Todo Backup or Paragon Backup (again, free).