Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Help needed with user permissions for running programs

  1. #1
    The Seeker is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3

    Default Help needed with user permissions for running programs

    How do I give permanent permissions to specific programs on a user account.
    Using Win 7 Home Premium
    I am the "admin" on the computer.
    I want a regular user to be able use certain programs but not have to enter my password each time.
    I thought by installing the program in the user account it would let the operator access it as needed, but each time it is run it asks for my admin pw.



    Any help would be appreciated...if more detail is required please ask.

    Is it better or worse to install the program via the admin account or install directly in the user account?

  2. #2
    nitinagarwal1988's Avatar
    nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pilani, India
    Posts
    1,570

    Default

    1. Right click on the application.
    2. then select Properties from the menu.
    3. click on Compatibility tab then check the box showing 'Run it as Administrator'
    4. Click Apply and then OK

    It is always good to keep UAC enabled. it protects your PC from many security threats.

    Note: Do this with only those applications on which you trust.
    Last edited by nitinagarwal1988; 3rd January 2010 at 07:56.

  3. #3
    The Seeker is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nitinagarwal1988 View Post
    1. Right click on the application.
    2. then select Properties from the menu.
    3. click on Compatibility tab then check the box showing 'Run it as Administrator'
    4. Click Apply and then OK

    It is always good to keep UAC enabled. it protects your PC from many security threats.

    Note: Do this with only those applications on which you trust.
    Thank you for your reply.

    I did as instructed, but still, every time the application is run, it asks for the admin pw to be entered. Note: I did the properties/comparability change from within the user's account, not from my "admin" account.
    (the check box for "run as admin" is "ticked")
    If I hadn't performed the properties change myself, all operational appearances would be that nothing had changed, that is, all appears to be acting exactly the same as prior to the change.

  4. #4
    leofelix is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    1,668

    Default

    I think you have to give administrator privileges to other users if you want the password not to be requested.
    By doing this means that other users become administrators as well

  5. #5
    nitinagarwal1988's Avatar
    nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pilani, India
    Posts
    1,570

    Default

    for this you have to change the security level of the UAC. use it at 3rd level, its safe and just it stops asking for credentials every time.

    for this:
    1. go to control Panel, open User Accounts.
    2. In user Accounts, click on Change User Account Control Settings.



    3. Pull the bar down to the third level.



    Now, it will not prompt you for credentials every time.

  6. #6
    iMav's Avatar
    iMav is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Seeker View Post
    How do I give permanent permissions to specific programs on a user account.
    Using Win 7 Home Premium
    I am the "admin" on the computer.
    I want a regular user to be able use certain programs but not have to enter my password each time.
    I thought by installing the program in the user account it would let the operator access it as needed, but each time it is run it asks for my admin pw.

    Any help would be appreciated...if more detail is required please ask.

    Is it better or worse to install the program via the admin account or install directly in the user account?
    You might want to try Parental Controls for this. I don't think it has anything to do with UAC.

    I haven't tested whether it prompts for the admin password but I assume it shouldn't.

  7. #7
    HappyAndyK's Avatar
    HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,547

  8. #8
    rkonit's Avatar
    rkonit is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pilani, India
    Posts
    1,363

    Post

    I read your problem carefully and got few solutions for you! I may help you.

    How do I give permanent permissions to specific programs on a user account?
    You need to create Standard User Accounts and setup parental controls.
    1. Open Parental Controls and choose user account, you want to prevent from using specific programs.
    2. Under Parental Controls, click On, enforce current settings and Allow and block specific programs.
    3. Click User Account can only use the programs I allow and Select the programs that you want to allow. If the program is not listed, click Browse to locate the program.

    I want a regular user to be able use certain programs but not have to enter my password each time.
    I’m a bit confused.
    If you do as I replied for above question. You don’t need to enter your password to run programs, except your need to face UAC prompt for the programs that requires Administrative Privileges.
    If you don’t want to see UAC prompt for your Admin account. You can suppress them by modifying UAC Security Policies.
    Suppress UAC prompt for Admin Accounts –
    1. Run Registry Editor and go to - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\System
    2. Change or modify a DWORD value called ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin to 0
    3. Close Registry Editor and Restart your PC to take effect.

    Is it better or worse to install the program via the admin account or install directly in the user account?
    No matters! You can install the program via the admin account and standard user account. In Standard user Account, you’ll have to enter admin password with UAC prompt.

  9. #9
    knightrider™'s Avatar
    knightrider™ is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    754

    Default

    ctrl shift enter or run as admin registry script doesnt work for u eh??

  10. #10
    The Seeker is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nitinagarwal1988 View Post
    for this you have to change the security level of the UAC. use it at 3rd level, its safe and just it stops asking for credentials every time.

    for this:
    1. go to control Panel, open User Accounts.
    2. In user Accounts, click on Change User Account Control Settings.


    3. Pull the bar down to the third level.



    Now, it will not prompt you for credentials every time.
    Thank you for your reply.

    I am already set at the third level already in my admin account, and under the user's account "Make changes to ... account" it only goes to the "Manage another account" level and does not show the "Change User Account Control Settings" option.

    ---------- Post added at 04:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    You might want to try Parental Controls for this. I don't think it has anything to do with UAC.

    I haven't tested whether it prompts for the admin password but I assume it shouldn't.

    In the user account, it had already been set up that user "can use all programs"
    that is kind of why I am wondering why it always prompts for password when the program is attempted to be run.

    ----

    To clarify, when I attempt to run the program under the user's account, a window pops up saying:
    "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?...
    To continue, type an administrator password, and then click Yes."
    After I enter the password, Windows states that the program needs to change the visual setting. I click, "do not show me this message again". When I run the program the next time, it again asks for the password but does not show the Windows message because I clicked the "do not show" box.

    Perhaps this "permission" is not as I originally thought, of allowing the user to run the program, but a notification that the program was going to change a Windows setting. Either way, I do not want to have to continually have to enter my permissions password whenever the user wants to run this program. I am ok with the program changing the visual setting (which is a temporary change only when this program is running).

    If it helps any, the program I am attempting to us is an iTunes alternative called "CopyTransManager" www {dot} copytrans {dot} net (I am not yet allowed to post urls)
    Last edited by The Seeker; 15th January 2010 at 04:35.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22