Thread: Microsoft Virtual PC vs. Virtual Box

edee is offline Windows Enthusiast

Question Microsoft Virtual PC vs. Virtual Box

This is more of a question of curiosity more than a problem .

I went and downloaded the following :
    Microsoft Virtual PC 2007
    Sun Systems Virtual Box
    Linux Fedora and Unbuntu iso files

Keep in mind I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and am just looking for something to use as a sand box because sanboxie does not support 64bit systems and I cannot install it .

I started with MS Virtual PC because the tutorial made it seem easier to use but once I installed it and tried to run either of the OS's I downloaded it told me me host operating system did not support running either one of the OS's I downloaded .

I ten installed Virtual Box , set it up and vualla ! it runs both OS's no problem no questions asked !
    I think I can use either OS as a sandbox .

My question is why will virtual pc not run the OS's but yet virtual box will ?
    Second , is this a good idea to use as a sand box ?

Thanks for your answers in advance

iMav is offline Gold Member

Windows VPC will run Linux distros BUT isn't recommended for it since peripheral devices like mouse etc. are a hassle.

Virtual Box is pretty good if you'll be installing Linux.

If you're gonna install Windows in a virtual environment then VPC is the best solution because of the integration with devices and the host machine.

So in short:

If you're gonna install Windows in a virtual environment -> Virtual PC
    Linux distros -> Virtual Box

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

I used both, in fact I published a tutorial about them ( http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/wind...partition.html ). I had Windows7 RC and Ubuntu running on them (with a Vista 32bit host). I find Virtual Box much better. Had all kinds of problems with Virtual PC and finally gave up on it.
    And yes, it is a good way to isolate your system. If anything happens, you just delete the 2 vBox files and make a new one.

edee is offline Windows Enthusiast

Question

Thanks for the help and replies guys but just one more question ......

A friend of mine said that VMWare is the way to go if your going to set up a virtual enviornment , he said it takes all the guess work out of setting up a virtual machine , he is running VMWare Workstation and said in just a couple of clicks he has his virtual enviornment up and running , as I do not live close enough to just go and see for myself I thought I would just ask here , is this true ?
    If it is , I know VMWare is kind of pricey but what it could potentially save you in the long run would be priceless.

hmm... well VMWare is more targeted towards large scale implementation, in businesses, hence the price. And from what I gather that's not your requirement. You should be good with Virtual Box. I wouldn't suggest you spending the money.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

I think VM Ware is an overkill for us "home users". Virtual Box has done everything I ever wanted to do in a virtual partition - and it is so easy to set-up (see my tutorial linked above).
    Just another thought. If you want to have a safe environment for browsing the web, you could use "Fedora on a stick" ( Fedora 9 Puts Your Desktop on a USB Drive - Feature - Lifehacker ). That is 100% safe. You just change the boot sequence in the BIOS and boot into Fedora from a USB stick. When you are done and the session is over you just log-off and all traces are gone. It uses Firefox as a browser and you can import your bookmarks. The only little disadvantage is that you start at square1 every time you go into Fedora - but it is neat.
    There are similar setups for Ubuntu. E.g. this one ( How-to: Installing Ubuntu Linux on a usb pendrive | Debian/Ubuntu Tips & Tricks ). But I like Fedora better.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

@imav, nice suggestion, thanks.

I also find VPC, best for Windows. though never tried installing Linux in Virtual environment using VPC.

jelson is offline Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by edee View Post
    My question is why will virtual pc not run the OS's but yet virtual box will ?
    Second , is this a good idea to use as a sand box ?
    IMHO, probably because Microsoft wrote Virtual PC. Why would they want to enable users to use any OS other than Windows?

From what I understand, VirtualPC is also the way go if you have Windows 7 installed and want to run, say, XP virtually. I'm just wanting to play around with it, but not enough to purchase another license.

I've read that you will need a new Windows license to install Windows in VirtualBox. Tried once to translate an Acronis image of XP system into a vhd and load it in VirtualBox. Didn't work. I'm missing something but haven't spent much time trying to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by jelson View Post

From what I understand, VirtualPC is also the way go if you have Windows 7 installed and want to run, say, XP virtually. I'm just wanting to play around with it, but not enough to purchase another license.
    If you purchase or upgrade to Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 ultimate, you will get a virtual instance of Windows XP for free, known as XP Mode.

jelson is offline Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    If you purchase or upgrade to Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 ultimate, you will get a virtual instance of Windows XP for free, known as XP Mode.
    Very kewl! Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Thanx.