Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: About MSDN/Technet Key - can you share or give them away?

iMav is offline Gold Member

err... no. It's not obvious when it comes to such legalities.

@Jay as long as you go and activate the machine and don't "sell" the key, I believe there is nothing illegal.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

I think if you have 2 or 3 PCs you can use those key on them. I have a Technet subscription and I have 3 PCs. 1 is mine, 1 is my sis and 1 is of my uncle and I am using Windows 7 Ultimate key's from my Technet account on them from last 2 months and there was no problem occured. I think using them on more PCs are allowed and that it too for personal use only.

Selling them or using them for business purpose is purely illegal. you can giveaway or donate anything you own....it's up to you.

Jay
    Jay is offline Beginner

He is using now Windows 7 ultimate and he wants to give his brother one XP key and one Windows 7 Pro.From MSDN you can get 10 or 5 keys for each version so if he giveaway 1 key from Windows 7 pro version he have still left 9 key's .but he is littlebit worried about it........if his account they cancel for this reason..

leofelix is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    He is using now Windows 7 ultimate and he wants to give his brother one XP key and one Windows 7 Pro.From MSDN you can get 10 or 5 keys for each version so if he giveaway 1 key from Windows 7 pro version he have still left 9 key's .but he is littlebit worried about it........if his account they cancel for this reason..
    If he is worried about his MSDN account I think he can ask directly to MSDN support if he is allowed to give away a Windows key.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

i so far used 3 Windows XP, 4 Windows Vista Ultimate, 2 Vista home premium, 3 Windows 7 Ultimate, 1 Windows 7 home premium, 1 Office 2007 home and student, 1 office 2007 ultimate and 1 Windows server 2008 R2 keys so far from my Technet account.

The account is still working and valid. They are given my MS to use not to collect

Just to do not make them illegal, use them for personal use only.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

hi !

stop guessing folks, read the rules instead....

MSDN Subscription Software Use Rights:

MSDN subscriptions are licensed on a per-user basis. One person can use the software to design, develop, test, or demonstrate his or her programs on any number of devices. Each person who uses the software this way needs a license.

MSDN Subscriptions are only offered per individual, there are no “team” subscriptions or sharing of subscription benefits. You should select the right MSDN Subscription for each person on your software development team based on the software that person needs to use and the support benefits required. Remember that team members who install the software (such as IT Professionals who install software for a test lab) will also need an MSDN subscription.

In most cases, MSDN Subscriptions come with “perpetual” use rights—the ability to continue using the software after the subscription has expired, even though the ability to download software and product keys ends when the subscription expires. An expired subscriber can only use software that was available during the subscription term for the subscription level purchased; software released after subscription expiration cannot be used. MSDN Subscriptions offered through retail channels and most Volume Licensing programs (Enterprise Agreement, Select, Select Plus, Open Value, Open, etc.) come with perpetual use rights unless otherwise specified. Certain "subscription" Volume Licensing programs (Enterprise Agreement Subscription, Open Value Subscription, Open Subscription, etc.) as well as subscriptions offered through the Microsoft Partner Program do not have perpetual use rights, so it is necessary to renew the subscription or program membership in order to continue using the software. If you sell or transfer a subscription to another party, any perpetual use rights are transferred to the new party so you would need to purchase a new subscription in order to continue using the software.

MSDN Subscriptions | MSDN Subscription Software Use Rights, How can I use the software included in my MSDN Subscription?

leofelix: the rules you referred to is for the software listed below them, Office etc.

but, if you look above that text, you will find what i posted above ↑↑

and here is (parts of) MICROSOFT TECHNET PLUS:

"INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

"Single User License. If you acquire a single user license, one user may install and use copies of the software on any of your devices.

Server License. If you acquire a server license, you may install copies of the software on one server. Any person that has access to that server may install and use the software on any of your devices."

"TRANSFER TO A THIRD PARTY.

The first user of the software may transfer it and this agreement directly to a third party. Before the transfer, that party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software. The first user must uninstall the software before transferring it separately from the device. The first user may not retain any copies."

TechNet Plus Subscriptions License Terms

rkonit is offline Gold Member

So much discussion! Do read License Agreement before taking any action.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

I think its a very genuine question which many users may have. Can one share or give a TechNet / MSDN key to someone else or not? If not forums like these, where else can one ask such questions Some great links have come up here discussing this issue.

Till such a time that a conclusion is reached, backed by documentation, I would love to keenly follow this discussion. I have also asked Microsoft and hope to have an answer soon.

I am sure that this will prove to be of use to someone else who may have the same question in his mind.

nithinr6 is offline Senior Member

MSDN Subscription-Operating Systems LA http://download.microsoft.com/Docume...05f3fedad8.pdf

Product Keys - The software requires a key to install or access it.You are responsible for the use of keys assigned to you.You should not share the keys with third parties.
    Not sure who all are third parties!
    These softwares or OSes in this case are intended to be used in test machines to create a test environment. So in the current situation Jay's friend want to use this for other puposes which is not allowed under the license.

Many MSDN subscribers use a computer for mixed use—both design, development, testing, and demonstration of your programs (the use allowed under the MSDN Subscription license) and some other use. Using the software in any other way, such as for doing email, playing games, or editing a document is another use and is not covered by the MSDN Subscription license. When this happens, the underlying operating system must also be licensed normally by purchasing a regular copy of Windows such as the one that came with a new OEM PC.
    Last edited by nithinr6; 17th January 2010 at 05:56.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Thanks for the pdf. It appears to be very clear now, as you have said.

The 2 parties are the license-holder and Microsoft. Anyone else is 3rd party.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast