DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: why Microsoft had to forsake Outlook Express?

Ron Wolpa is offline New Member

Thumbs down why Microsoft had to forsake Outlook Express?

why Microsoft had to forsake Outlook Express?
    during many years I saved my personal correspondence as well as articles from web sites
    ( with the advantage to save text/pictures ) on .eml format. Now I do not have Outlook Express how I am going to open the thousands .eml files I have?

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Wolpa View Post
    why Microsoft had to forsake Outlook Express?
    during many years I saved my personal correspondence as well as articles from web sites
    ( with the advantage to save text/pictures ) on .eml format. Now I do not have Outlook Express how I am going to open the thousands .eml files I have?
    You can import eml files into Thunderbird mail client.

If your old email client is still installed, the easiest solution is to import the e-mail, address books and settings using Tools -> Import. If it is not installed or Thunderbird doesn't know how to import data from it, typically you need to find some way to export or convert your old email client's mail files to either .EML or mbox files, and some way to export or convert the address books to .CSV or .LDIF files. And if you just need to transfer email between email clients, another option is doing so indirectly via a mail server.

Thunderbird, Netscape, Mozilla Suite and SeaMonkey use mbox files to store the messages for a folder. The ImportExportTools extension can import and export mbox and .EML files. Many email clients use mbox files (regardless of whether they use no file extension, .mbx or .mbox as the file extension) to store messages or provide a way to export folders as mbox or .EML files due to the popularity of Eudora and Outlook Express. Sometimes email clients use "Unix format" to refer to a mbox file since the format was originally developed for Unix systems.

If you have problems importing .EML files using the ImportExportTools extension try using eml2mbx to convert the .EML files to a mbox file and then import the mbox file using the ImportExportTools extension. A Google search will find several eml to mbox conversion programs. Whats unusual about this one is that provides a lot of control over how it converts the .EML files using a "eml2mbx.ini" file.

If your old email client supports exporting the address book as either a .CSV or .LDIF file you can import it using Tools -> Import -> Address books -> Text Files. If not you might be able to use a program like Dawn to convert the address book to a .CSV file and then import it.

No matter how you import or export your e-mail its a good idea to back up your e-mail first in case something unexpected happens.

If you're moving from a old PC to a new one its typically easiest (and safest) to install Thunderbird on the old PC, import your e-mail, settings and address books and then move the Thunderbird profile to the new PC.

Hope this helps.

Hankster58 is offline New Member

I just upgraded to W7.. and everything seems great except I can't get Thunderbird to import my E-mails from Vista's Windows Mail. It doesn't seem to see them. I tried installing Windows Mail Live, and it "acts" like it's importing them, you see the folders, you see the number of emails and the numbers downloading.. yet when it's done, it flashes a "downloaded in Windows mail format".. and all the folders are EMPTY!! What gives?!?!? I know it "backed them up... and they SHOW being there when WML goes to import.. but they never get there!!! What now???