DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Ntvdm.exe error message

Ron Wolpa is offline New Member

Thumbs down Ntvdm.exe error message

The applicative canīt be started correctly (Oxc0000142) , click on OK to close it.
    How to repair this file ?
    Thanks

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

The process NTVDM.EXE belongs to the software ntvdm.exe or MediaTickets by OIN or Microsoft Windows Operating System or ntvdm.exe by Microsoft Corporation (www.microsoft.com).

Description: File ntvdm.exe is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32. The file size on Windows XP is 520,192 bytes.
    It is a Windows core system file. The program has no visible window. The file is a Microsoft signed file.

"NTVDM" can run at start up. Windows NT Virtual DOS Machine (NTVDM) for running 16-bit tasks on the 32-bit OS's (Windows NT, 2K and XP). Required if hardware on a machine with these OS's needs 16-bit DOS drivers. You can find a bit more about NTVDM here
    Try this also: open cmd in evelated mode, then type sfc /scannow and check for errors. It may ask for the Windows Bootable disc.

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

Ntvdm.exe is the Windows NT Virtual DOS Machine. This is used by Windows to allow DOS applications to run under Windows NT-based operating systems (2000, XP, Vista). It is also used in conjunction with wowexec.exe to run 16-bit applications under 32-bit Windows.
    It is common for virus and spyware to disguise themself as the genuine one.
    The following malware is known to disguise itself as the genuine ntvdm.exe:

W32/Tilebot-JX
    W32/Sdbot-DFQ

Common Errors:
    using almost 100% cpu usage
    NTVDM.EXE has generated errors and will be closed by Windows.

Solution 1: Run a thorough and deep Virus & Malware scan.

Solution 2: Reinstall ntvdm.exe from your original XP disk.

If you need help to reinstal lntvdm.exe just holla.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

...so, if ntvdm.exe is situated in system32 folder, then it could be the legit MS file, else malware...

nithinr6 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Wolpa View Post
    The applicative canīt be started correctly (Oxc0000142) , click on OK to close it.
    How to repair this file ?
    Thanks
    Are you getting this message on startup??

1st of wall so many thanks by having answered my post.
    I think everything started as I installed and ran AVG Anti Virus , possibly AVG changed ntvdm.exe and cmd.exe, which despite there is nothing to do with this post , seems to be trouble as well.
    I noticed something is wrong with ntvdm.exe as clicked to open an old dictionary that used to run to a tee on Windows 7 (32 bits) and received an error message : The applicative canīt be started correctly (Oxc0000142) ,;
    By the way , answering Nithing R6 question , if I received such message on start up : the answer is no message during Windows 7 start up.
    ntvdm.exe is in the folder c:\windows\system32 , the date and hour it was modified match exactly the AVG installation (OS was installed on a previous date and hour).
    AVG later was unistalled as it caused the OS to be very slow and the mess was already made.

nithinr6 is offline Senior Member

As others said try scanning for curropted system files. Type cmd in search box and when it apperars under programs right click and select run as administrator. Now type sfc /scannow and press enter. It is the system file checking utility and will replace the corrupted system files. Make sure that you have the windows installation dvd in your dvd drive.
    Last edited by nithinr6; 28th January 2010 at 12:26.

alright I will to repair as you suggest. thank you

sfc /scannow :
    as I try to run an error message occurs :

sfc.exe application error
    The application failed to initialize properly (Oxc0000142) ,
    Click on OK to terminate the application.