DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Add folder contents, to that folders context menu?

DarkPhoeni is offline New Member

Default Add folder contents, to that folders context menu?

Hi. I don't know if I should post this here or in Software, to find software that does this.. but I am looking to do this:

Put a folder on your desktop for lets say shortcuts. Of course put shortcuts into it.. now.. instead of opening the folder, I want to either right click on it, or hover over it with the mouse would be better, to display all of its shortcuts contents.. and you can execute the shortcut of your choice right from there.. no need to open a folder up in a new window.

In other words..

It would be nice, if every time you dropped a shortcut (or anything) into a folder it would show up in that folders right context menu. I think that should be a useful Windows function by default.. Why force you to actually open the folder when you don't have to.

This way, I would only need a few folders on the desktop with everything in sub categories. It would be neat and clean. Just like the way the Start Menu works.

Does anyone know of a way to do this or a piece of software that does this?

Thanks!

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Perhaps some Program Launcher may help you...

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Nothing I know of can do everything your looking for. Would be a neat app but alot of work to create such a thing.

DarkPhoeni is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by L.W View Post
    Nothing I know of can do everything your looking for. Would be a neat app but alot of work to create such a thing.
    Hmm.. It's just one thing really.. displaying the contents of a folder in its context menu.. I would not have thought that would be a complicated complex thing to do.. LOL Oh well shows what I know..

I will keep looking because I think it would be a really useful thing to have in Windows..

Thanks for trying..

pmshah is offline New Member

I don't believe it is such a major task. There was a content.dll and a content.inf file available for Win98 (Powertoys.exe) which generally also worked on XP. It was something developed informally by people working at Microsoft without any official support.

Message to DarkPhoeni : If you find something I would very much appreciate your posting it here. I really really miss this feature!
    Last edited by pmshah; 12th February 2010 at 07:43. Reason: what I wrote appeared as a string of *