DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Defragging A System Disk?

Plopper is offline Beginner

Default Defragging A System Disk?

I have two bootable HDDs in my PC which I usually hide from each other by removing the other HDD's drive letter in the other HDD's settings, if that makes sense?

So I do not Dual Boot in the strictest sense of the term, I use the F8 boot selection screen whenever I want to get to the secondard HDD, but just let the boot sequence run as normal when I wanna boot into the primary HDD.

That's just the layout, my question is about is Defragging one system disk from another system disk, one being XP and the other being 7!

I came up with the idea while using Defraggler and realising that it didn't have a boot defrag option to get the stubourn files defragged! So can I use the Win 7 HDD booted into Windows to defrag the XP HDD and not have any problems?

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

You can defrag any disk from a running OS. But in the case of a system disk, I am not sure whether that is a good idea. I think you better do it one at a time from it's "native" OS.
    Btw: I have the same setup with Vista and Win7. There is no need to hide the drive letter unless you want to protect the drive from yourself accidently doing something to it. This is my setup as seen from Win7. E would be C in Vista. N is a shared data partition that both Vista and Win7 use (no need to sync):

Last edited by whs; 12th February 2010 at 02:23.

Plopper is offline Beginner

Yeh! that is the main reason I hide the drives from each other, just to make sure that I don't do something silly and delete/format/install something from or to the wrong place.

Thanx again for the info, I was thinking that it wouldn't be such a good idea to do it the way I was thinking!

Pavankumar is offline Microsoft MVP

Smile

use ashampoo magical disk defrag 3
    its a nice app and will do the defrag work in background when ever the system is idle ....

delta253 is offline New Member

I used to have a Compaq MOD-1 with 640K and a 10MB Qubie HDD (1983?). The HDD had a response time of about 45ms - if that. But it was "hot stuff". Defrag made sense. Nowadays I think "defrag" is not a technical consideration. I don't think the % performance improvement is worth the time needed to do it nor the deferred tasking of the system. The OS gets written once - contiguously. The Apps get written once contiguously. Upgrades likewise. So mostly the only thing that changes are the data files as they are edited. If you access one particular data file 5 times, even 10 times daily and you save one millisec on each access -- it's worthless at the end of 15 minutes in your life. If the file is fragged and you NEVER access it, it doesn't matter anyway. Either way -- FUHGEDDABOUDIT and go make money. I think I've seen some versions of WinV /7 seem to have a weekly defrag in the Task Scheduler from the factory anyway. Good enough, if it must be done, let the brainless computer do it. I've seen people sit and watch the defragger on company time while they were getting paid......that really gets me going. Defrag is as relevant as "memory training" a Li-ION battery or a screen saver on a LCD display.