DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Should I create a system partition?

luffy is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default Should I create a system partition?

I will install a fresh Windows 7 soon. Is wise to create 2 partitions on a hard drive. 1 partition is for Windows 7 (software, system) and 1 partition is for everything else?

Thank you.

James is offline Microsoft MVP

I would say 'yes', luffy. In fact, this is what I have setup on my laptop.
    All my data is on D: drive, and Windows & other programs are on C:
    As long as you don't have a hard disk crash, your data is relatively 'safe' on D: since it is one step removed from C: Then, just backup D: to an external drive, etc.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

^ My sentiments exactly!

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post
    I will install a fresh Windows 7 soon. Is wise to create 2 partitions on a hard drive. 1 partition is for Windows 7 (software, system) and 1 partition is for everything else?

Thank you.
    Beside it, creating two separate partitions... You must create (100MB) system partition as well...which is created automatically, when you create first partition on fresh drive (cleaned drive).

It enables BitLocker for Windows (C drive

Zecom is offline Beginner

Taking things further you can (if you have two Hard Drives) install the OS to one Hard Drive and Programs to the second Hard Drive, first partition on each. Windows 7 is optimised for SSD so two SSDs work very well like this (very fast) or for top speed two or more SSDs in a RAID configuration would make even WD Raptors look slow !.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

It is absolutely recommended to have a seperate data partition. But if you move your folders, do it the right way (with MOVE in the Properties > Location tab). Here is a little video tutorial I made for the purpose.

delta253 is offline New Member

For those with previously installed systems, you don't have to rebuild to achieve this. Go Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Storage, Disk Management and "shrink" the existing volume. Create a new volume from the unallocated space, format it and W7 will give it a letter. If you play around you can rearrange all the drive letters to your satisfaction -- start by changing "F:" to "M:" or something so you have an extra letter for temporary usage. I did notice that the "shrink volume" and "create volume" tools referred to space in MB units but really worked in GB units. Pretty smart idea when you have to rebuild the OS from scratch and as mentioned earlier, simpler backups also. Need to investigate location of profile when a new user is created to make sure the user profile is on the new data volume, but that can be hacked I think. Are profiles "Bound" to the OS install by the registry keys"? Could be. Good question.