DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Can't use chkdsk

Anticool is offline New Member

Default Can't use chkdsk

Norton 360 recently discovered my C: drive may have problems and it has advised me to run chkdsk... The problem is that I canīt make it work. Not even through the command prompt.

Can anyone help me??

Thanks in advance.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

I already did. It did not work.

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

If it's Norton reporting a problem it's possibly Norton causing the problem.

I would fully remove Norton with the Norton removal tool ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...moval_Tool.exe

Reboot the PC, run ChkDsk and reinstall Norton.

Actually, I just ran the diagnosis form the Windows 7 "Action center" and it also says that I should run Chkdsk.

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Are you getting the message that files are in use? If you are choosing yes to run at boot, is it just bypassing and logging in?

Try a elevated command prompt (start menu/Accessories/
    right click command prompt and run as administrator type the command
    CHKDSK Drive Letter: /F /R
    If it prompts with message that it cannot run, run on boot choose yes and see if it will run if you reboot.

Also check your system32 folder make sure chkdsk.exe exists and also Autochk.exe if not open an elevated command prompt and type
    sfc /scannow
    and be patient while it tries to repair the files

Hope this helps
    Lee

Aaaghh!! I found Chkdsk using the search function. Ran it as an administrator. It worked... BUT.... as a soon as it finished it closed down without letting me see the results!

arvind_kumar is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anticool View Post
    Aaaghh!! I found Chkdsk using the search function. Ran it as an administrator. It worked... BUT.... as a soon as it finished it closed down without letting me see the results!
    simply use it like this:

chkdsk > x:\result.txt

the result will get stored in the text file. Thats all.

I havenīt found out how to run run.exe as an administrator and when I try to run chkdsk through it it will come up and close down in less than a second.

Also, I want to thank you all for your help :-D

delta253 is offline New Member

Click Start. In "Start Search" type "cmd". Look at the top left of the menu - you'll see "cmd". Put the mouse on it - right click and choose "run as administrator". That gives a command prompt area on screen. You can run various commands in that "DOS box". When done with the box, type "exit" to close it or click the X in the top right of the box.

The box is scrollable with the mouse if need be.

When redirecting output to a file, use a drive letter of the current drive or an existing drive. e.g. 'dir *.* >c:dirlist.txt' . This command would put a list of all the files in the current directory of the current drive into a file named dirlist.txt on the current directory of drive c:. You may or may not be looking at or attached to drive c: when this task is performed. You may or may not have a drive c: on your system (though usually you will, it is technically possible to change or remove it).

The example "X:" was ok in an earlier post, but it wasn't explained that the drive letter is subject to change per the needs of the user and the setup of the system.