Thread: How to add values from .reg without replacing existing ones?

estra is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default How to add values from .reg without replacing existing ones?

Hello,

I'd like to ask if there is any way to import a .reg file, but so that the existing values in the registry would not be overwritten with the ones from imported .reg file, and these new values would be added to current ones instead?

Specifically I am looking how to add an additional string to a multi-string value type "REG_MULTI_SZ".

I have tried the following, but this still overwrites a data, instead of appending:

Code:
    reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} /v UpperFilters /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d DATA-I-WANT-TO-ADD
    Thank you.
    Last edited by estra; 16th March 2010 at 11:00. Reason: Provided more info

LeeW is offline Gold Member

I'm not sure how your trying to go about doing it whether you are manually creating a registry file to add to registry, using an application ......... , but the only way you could append to the value would be:
    a:Manually, export registry file and add the data to the existing string
    b:with an application, export the registry file and add the data to the existing string and import it back to the registry

But to just create a reg file and try to add it you cannot do unless your adding a new value to the registry key in addition to the existing value

estra is offline Windows Enthusiast

Yes, it appears there is no built-in functionality in Windows to append data to a multi-string value type, without doing it manually.

I'll have to adapt some sort of script for it then or build a setup program for that purpose.

ChrisRich is offline Beginner

I found VB scripting REALLY easy for registry editing and flat file processing.

You could probably script this in a couple mins..