DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Backup external drive to C drive

pdc_2 is offline New Member

Default Backup external drive to C drive

I want to backup my NAS (Network Attached Storage) to my C drive on my windows 7 home edition laptop, using windows backup. Is it impossible to do this?? I can't select the C drive (windows root drive), the wizard doesn't take me any further because of this...

Any tips?

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

This is not possible to take a Windows Backup on the drive on which Windows itself is installed. Please try another drive partition to take successful backup.

delta253 is offline New Member

A backup is a "file copy". Open 2 "Computer" applets. one for C: (destination) and one for the external drive (source). Mark, Copy and Paste from source to destination -- you don't technically need a "backup program" to do this. You need sufficient freespace on the destination drive and preferably put the copied material in a new and empty folder folder somewhere in the existing folder organization that you can find it later. DON'T put it in the root of C: without reason. Keep it in your personal user folder unless you have valid reasons not to.

Without good reason, avoid putting anything in the root of C: or on the Desktop.

The rule previously mentioned in the earlier post might apply if you use a Windows backup program - so don't use a windows backup program - copy it yourself as described herein.

pdc_2 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by delta253 View Post
    A backup is a "file copy". Open 2 "Computer" applets. one for C: (destination) and one for the external drive (source). Mark, Copy and Paste from source to destination -- you don't technically need a "backup program" to do this. You need sufficient freespace on the destination drive and preferably put the copied material in a new and empty folder folder somewhere in the existing folder organization that you can find it later. DON'T put it in the root of C: without reason. Keep it in your personal user folder unless you have valid reasons not to.

Without good reason, avoid putting anything in the root of C: or on the Desktop.

The rule previously mentioned in the earlier post might apply if you use a Windows backup program - so don't use a windows backup program - copy it yourself as described herein.
    Yes offcourse I understand this, but I want to make an incremental backup about every week. And not copy paste the entire disk every time.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Yes offcourse I understand this, but I want to make an incremental backup about every week. And not copy paste the entire disk every time.
    Use a sync program like AllwaySync.

ChrisRich is offline Beginner

Just add the following command to your task scheduler for like 2am:

Code:
    xcopy "X:\" "C:\NASBAK" /D /E /C /I /R /Y
    Where "X:\" is the drive letter of your NAS, and "C:\NASBAK" is the folder on your C drive you want the files to go to.

Worst case scenario, you'd want to make a batch file with that as the only command, and then schedule that batch file to run at 2am.