DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: How to make a better toolbar in Windows 7 ?

Pauly is offline New Member

Default How to make a better toolbar in Windows 7 ?

So I have this custom toolbar with a few shortcuts in it, but I don't like having to click on the tiny >> arrows to open the menu. I don't want to simply have the toolbar expanded as that would take up a lot of space on my taskbar. I would very much like to be able to click on the toolbar title to open up the menu, but the title right now basically does nothing except take up space.

Ideally I would replace the title text with an icon, and have the icon open up the menu when clicked on, and then place it next to my start button, essentially having a second (and later 3rd, 4th etc) start button that I customise with whatever shortcuts I like.

Does anybody know of a way to achieve this? Alternately, I would happily download and install an application that could offer this functionality.

I have looked at "docks" but they don't quite do what I want. I don't need any fancy features or animation. Just an icon that shows a menu of shortcuts when clicked on, that I can pin to my taskbar.

As another alternative, I could be happy with an icon that could sit on my desktop, that opened up a menu when clicked on. Not a folder that I have to double click to open, and then double click again on a shortcut. But a single click to open the menu and another single click to launch a selected application.

Cheers,
    Paul

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

How about this version:

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Also see if any of these docks or launchers or this interests you.

Pankaj is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    How about this version:
    Hi whs,

That is similar to what I already have set up. What I don't like is that the only clickable area is the little double arrows (look like >>), while the text "All" is not. It annoys me that the toolbar takes up X number of pixels, while only ~20% of those pixels are really useful. Yes, the label is important, but that space could be put to good use.

It would be nice if clicking on the word "All" would open up the menu as well, and the double arrows would not be needed at all. It would be even nicer if I could replace the word "All" with an icon instead. It would function like the Start button. The Start button is actually quite good, as far as interface elements go. I'd like to have more than just one.

I'm going to keep looking at launchers and docks as suggested, but so far nothing seems to be quite what I want. If I find a solution, I'll be sure to post it.

Cheers,
    Paul

In case anybody is interested, there is an application called 7stacks that I found that does what I wanted.

I'm able to create an icon on the taskbar that opens up a menu of files/folders/shortcuts with a single left-click. It looks neat and functions well.

It seems like the sort of thing that could be built in to the Windows UI without too much trouble, if the developers were so inclined..

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Yeah, I've already blogged about 7stacks. Thanks for your feedback about it.

keithbro is offline Beginner

Smile

I've been looking for something like this for ages, great little utility.
    All I need to know now is how to move the pinned icons to the other end of the Taskbar.