In the part 1 of this tutorial you have seen how Group Policy Editor can be used to tweak Windows System Configuration, we have learned in the previous tutorial how to Hide Specified drive form My Computer, now its time to go in deep and see what exactly happens when we apply any policy settings in Group Policy Editor (GPEDIT).

What happens when you apply any tweak in GPEDIT?
The Group Policy Editor stores registry-based configuration settings in two Registry.pol files. One file contains computer settings and the other file contains user settings. The Group Policy Object Editor saves the settings to these files on exit, and imports the settings on startup.

This Registry.pol file is located at Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\User So if you are able to read it you will know what kind of information it has added to registry and this is what we are interested in. So to read this Registry.pol file we use a freeware software Polviewer by GPOGuy.com. This utility simply reads each registry value that has been defined within the .pol file and displays the registry key, value, value type (e.g. REG_DWORD, REG_SZ) and data that is stored for that value.

To view the key name, value etc, start Polviewer and click on Browse,navigate to Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\User and select Registry.pol file.

Click on Submit to read the file.

Now you get the all you need to edit Registry, you know the Registry Key, Registry Value, Value Type and Data, now you can write your own tutorial based on this information, On how to hide specified drives in My Computer using Registry Editor.

Note:

#1 : The Polviewer only shows the Registry key names by default, use Registry Hives as HKLM or HKCR

#2 : Local Group Policy Editor is available in Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, and Windows 7 Enterprise. For more information, visit here

So go on and explore as many tweaks as you can from Group Policy editor and figure out the registry key, value, type and data by your own. And if you have any problem please do let me know.

Original Source: beingPC