DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSOD Problems

Plopper is offline Beginner

Default BSOD Problems

Hey there, I've got a bit of a problem!

From time to time, maybe 3 or 4 times a week I'll have my copy of Windows 7 64bit Home Premium just up and Blue Screen Of Death on me!

And I can't track it down to what is causing it! It's even just been on the desktop, left alone for maybe half an hour and just out of the blue (pardon the PUN), it'll just BSOD on me, re-start ask how I want to restart, then when it boots back into the desktop it'll ask me if I want to search on the net for solutions, which I do every time!

Every time it's fine after it does it, and that many times a week isn't really a deal braker to the point I'm ready to format and start again, but it is annoying and I'd like to track the problem down.

Thing is I can't figure out how, or even IF, I can read the file it dumps out to the C: drive to trry and find out what the problem is, and when I do search for a solution on the net, it always just goes away after a short time and never tells me if it's even done anything?

SO!

Does anybody know how I can read the memory dump and if so, how do i understand it enough to find out what has caused the problem in the first place?

Any help would be great on this one as I haven't got a clue!

LeeW is offline Gold Member

If you look at the dump file it should give you the error code. If you can get me the error code I'd be glad to help best I can.
    Error should read something similar to
    page fault" stop 0x0000040 or other codes

If you would like message me with the dump file or post the dump file and I'll look it over

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

On the blue screen it should also show you the Bugcheck code. Then you can go to this page and see whether you find it. Bug Check Codes (Windows Driver Kit)

OK, is this what we need to be looking at?

???

OK, Every time I've looked it says this at the bottom of the error report?

Probably caused by : Ntfs.sys ( Ntfs+f1c7c )

What's that all about?

knightrider™ is offline Gold Member

could u post ur pc config and the power supply ur using PSU and did ya check rams using memtest86

Just in the process of testing the memory, more of that in a bit, power supply is a Silent Pro 700 Watts that is about 6/8 months old.

Now I've just come on to ask a memory question, I've narrowed it down to most likely memory that is the cause of the problems, but I'm unsure as to what actually constitutes a broken memory stick?

I have 4 Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1GB sticks running at 800mhz on an Asus P5E motherboard and a qual core 6600, and the BIOS has never been altered from default in the 2 and a 1/2 + years I've had it, the memory has never been out until I started testing it and I've installed NO new hardware in the last 8/10 months.

I've tested each stick on it's own for one pass with memtest86+ version 4.00 from a bootable CD from cold so no interference from Windows, and they all passed, same test again but for 2 hours each, one passed, one had 1 single error and the 3rd one had 19 errors in 2 hours 20 minutes. I've still to test the 4th stick.

SO, in memory terms, just how many errors can you get away with, I'm thinking that it's ZERO, and even one error is too many?

These are the test resaults;

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Could you identify the Bug check / error code and message ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast