DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Disable Zip file as folder in Windows Explorer

WoodChips is offline New Member

Default Disable Zip file as folder in Windows Explorer

Hi,

Using Windows 7 x64. I have used Ultimate Windows Tweaker v2.1. But I don't see any option to disable the display of Zip file as folder in Windows Explorer.

Google searches showed some blogs which provided the instructions do disabling the zip folder view. But it is a multi manual steps which I find overly complicated for such a simple operation.

Is there a simple way?

Thanks in advance for any help.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Are you looking of a way to disable in-built zip capability? If so then this update post on how to disable windows 7 built-in zip may help you.

The post you referred to suggested to run regsvr32 /u %windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll (which I did in a command prompt, open to be run as Admin). Got the following error:

The module "C:\Windows\system32\zipfldr.dll" was loaded but the entry point DLLUnregisterServer was not found.

Make sure that "C:\Windows\system32\zipfldr.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and try again.

The post also advised "...or simply download and use our Ultimate Windows Tweaker." which I tried to do at the first place and came here asking for help as there is no such option in Ultimate Windows Tweaker.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

The error: Dllname was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer or DllUnregisterServer entry point was not found usually means that the dll may be corrupted.

Dllname may not be exported, or a corrupted version of Dllname may be in memory. Consider using Pview to detect the file and remove it.

Explanation of Regsvr32 usage and error messages
    Run System File Checker (sfc /scannow) and on restart try unregistering the dll again.

Reg the UWT part, I need to edit that post; was under the impression that it had that tweak!

LeeW is offline Gold Member

I have come across this issue in Windows 7 numerous times with different dll files and still haven't found a fix for this issue.

Woodchips. One solution would be Right-Click a zip file and choose Open With and select the application you would like to use as default and make sure always open with is checked. You can also go to Start Menu\Control Panel\Default Programs
    Go to Associate a file type or protocol..... and select a default for compressed files.

Hope this helps
    Lee

Hi,

sfc /scannow disn't find anything wrong:

Code:
    C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
    "Open with" doesn't fix the issue. The *.zip or *.cab files still look like a folder in the left pane of Windows Explorer. Let's say you have 100 *.zip files in C:\MyArchive. When you select this folder in Windows explorer, at the left pane you will see a long list of 100 subfolders under C:\MyArchive, while actually there is no folder.

I suppose Microsoft had chosen to display an archive file this way to help computer illiterate people to view the content inside a zip. But in my opinion, this adds more confusion than help. What I am surprised is that there is no option to turn that off. I am concerned for the days Microsoft decides to add more automatic action (which they probably mistake for smartness), for example, playing automatically all media files.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Windows Vista/7 don't support UnRegister Dll of ZIP folder.

RobC is offline New Member

Unregister of the zipfldr.dll hasn't worked since XP. To do it in Vista you need to delete two registry keys.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{E88DCCE0-B7B3-11d1-A9F0-00AA0060FA31}
    and
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0CD7A5C0-9F37-11CE-AE65-08002B2E1262}

and then restart. Of course UWT made this easy in Vista and you didn't have to do it manually. Unfortunately in Win7 even though the same keys have to be deleted UWT cannot perform the task because of permissions.

In Win7 there is the added complexity of having to take ownership of the keys in regedit and then giving your user full control of the key, this works just as it does for files. Once you have taken ownership and full control of the keys listed above you can then delete them and restart.

To take ownership of a key in the registry you right click and select "Permissions" and then the "Advanced" button then select the "Ownership" tab and select your user name and tick the box for "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and click Ok or Apply. I always click Apply and then Ok but I believe just Ok accomplishes the same thing but you won't have visual verification. Then go back to the "Security" tab and select your user name and tick the box for "Allow Full Control" and click Ok or Apply. Once you have done this for both keys you can then delete them as long as you did exactly as above.

I'm pretty surprised the MVP didn't give this fix.

BTW, if anyone around here has any association with the Windows team or MS tell them that this REALLY has to have a selection choice for Explorer preferences just like displaying of extensions. Which should default to showing them and not hiding them.
    Last edited by RobC; 2nd July 2010 at 02:14.