DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Windows 7 - display on startup goes to a gray screen

evelyn is offline New Member

Question Windows 7 - display on startup goes to a gray screen

I have a hp laptop pavilion dv9620us with windows 7 32 home premium my display on startup goes to a gray screen windows starts i can hear it but dosent come on the screen but every once in awhile it does then goes out,I hooked it up to another monitor and the computer works,my display adapter is nvidia geforce7150m/nforce 630m everything is up to date bios etc i have microsoft security suite i went to hp forum and couldnt find any results.do you have any suggestions.thankyou i am just a moderant computer user but i did try the win 7 fixes

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Might be a loose connection. Google for how to open up your laptop and then try disconnecting and reconnecting the display. If your not comfortable doing that I would take it to a repair shop because it sounds like a hardware issue.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

I think it could also be driver issue. Let me see if I can find a KB Article or a hotfix ....

ok i will try the display conection i found a web site that explains how to do it will let you know..i would appricate any help on this i was wondering if it could be a driver also it dosent even come on anymore but still works great on other display..thankyou for helping

HP website only has one driver or download (wireless assistant) on the support site for a pavilion dv9620us with windows 7 32 bit but they do have a Vista driver. Try that.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...roduct=3548479

You can also try this to see if it is the driver:

Go to start menu and type device in the search box. then click on device manager.

Click on the little triangle to the left of display adapters.

Double click on the display for your laptop and click on the driver tab of the pop up window.

Click on uninstall and click OK.

Reboot and windows should reinstall the driver.
    Last edited by roraniel; 20th April 2010 at 23:06.

well i dont know how it fixed it self but the display is back all day it has worked so i guess problem solved, it is weird that it is now ok

Glad to hear it. We used to joke that just asking a question here made the problem go away. This one just took a few weeks to clear up.