DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Windows 7 Ultimate Product key query.

BenjyUK is offline New Member

Default Windows 7 Ultimate Product key query.

Hello Everyone,

Im new here but was wondering about Windows 7 product keys,
    I bought my copy of Windows 7 when it first came out, and installed it on my laptop, but am planning on selling my laptop in the near future for a newer shiner one.

Will I have to purchase a whole new copy of Windows 7, just a new product key.. Or will I be able to install Ultimate on my new laptop no troubles?

Many Thanks,

Benjy

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

In case it is an OEM machine with Windows 7 pre-installed, then the key is tied to the machine and when you sell the laptop the key goes along with it.

If you have bought a RTM/Box key, then the key is tied to the person. You may then uninstall Windows 7 (format) your old laptop and sell it, and use your existing key to install Windows 7 on your new laptop and use this key.

This is my understanding.

Addl reads:
    Types of Windows 7 Consumer / Retail License Keys | The Windows Club
    http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/wind...eys-means.html

Plopper is offline Beginner

That's how I've always understood the licence too, but I got an OEM copy of Vista about a year ago, used it for a couple of months, then an update completely bricked my Windows and I went back to XP for a time before getting 7 a few months ago, in the mean time I tried installing my old OEM Vista on a completely different PC thinking that it wouldn't work, but it did! So it seems if you buy the OEM disc itself and it's not just pre-installed on the machine, it will work again on another PC!

In addition to that Andy I went for a full retail version this time for 7, and it's been fine, but I was thinking about running my two HDDs as Windows 7 systems. So can I use the same disc on both?

I don't dual boot in the normal sense of the word (I use F8 for the boot selection menu) both HDDs are completely indipendent of each other as when I installed 7 I pulled the cable out of the HDD with XP on, have the drive letters hidden from each other and the like. But the two HDDs are in the same machine, but unless I'm wrong have a different IP/MAC address so will seem like a different machine to Microsoft when I try to activate it.

Any idea what will happen?

So, is an OEM a full disk? Because I bought the full version, installed it on my laptop which previously had Vista installed.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

BenjyUK: In your case, "you bought my copy of Windows 7 when it first came out, and installed it on my laptop"; so you can uninstall Windows 7 (format) your old laptop and sell it, and use your existing key to install Windows 7 on your new laptop.

Addl read:

The number of computers on which you can install Windows Vista or 7 depends on the software license. For example:

■ If you acquire Windows Vista or 7 via retail purchase (boxed product), it may only be installed on one computer at a time. You may choose to uninstall Windows Vista or 7 from the initial computer and install it on another computer. You will then be required to re-activate that copy of Windows on the new computer.

■ If you acquire Windows Vista or 7 pre-installed on a computer, it may only be used on that computer.
    Plopper: Thanks for your additional inputs.

Also: The Windows 7 EULA states the following:

The Windows 7 desktop operating system software is licensed on a per copy per computer basis for consumers. In this context, a computer is a physical hardware system with an internal storage device capable of running the software. A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate computer. Users may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer”. Users may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time.
    As I interpret it, you may not be allowed or be eligible to install it on 2 hard disks.

Newy is offline Windows Enthusiast

Apart from the actual regulations maybe if you offer your laptop with said copy of Ultimate installed you will no doubt get a better price for it.This will probably cover the same product on any new machine thus causing less stress all around.

Just a thought unless you are buying a custom build laptop..

Newy

Thanks for the help everyone, thats cleared it all up for me!

shaycorl is offline New Member

OEM key works only on manufactured machine and really not gonna work. Not posting thing to violating any thing but seriously if you can't afford you can still run this without any problem. If you aren't comfortable then you can download either online or just purchase a new one in other case you can get the installer files and just purchase they key over phone will work any way. BTW MS is already rich ..