DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Renaming System Folders...

Bushmaster is offline New Member

Default Renaming System Folders...

I have an interesting situation. I usually rename the system folders such as "My Pictures" "My Music" etc to "Pictures" "Music" ... I can't do it anymore for these two. I can rename the actual folders, but not the shortcuts that go in the "Links" you create that appear in Windows Explorer at top left...

They appear as "My Pictures" etc, and when I rename it back to "Pictures" as soon as I hit enter, it goes back to "My Pictures"... How can I fix this?

shaycorl is offline New Member

I am suing Win7 64 bit pro version and just tried it and didn't see any problem i was successfully able to rename my pics .. to pics may be it's some thing auto system restore on which is causing this problem. Just reboot pc after renaming folder and then see if it helps.

Yep tried it shay... This happened to me before in the old Win7 RC days, I had fixed it with a reinstall. I am not going to worry about it.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Rename Shortcuts from LINKS folder (C:\Users\<User Name>\Links)

Hello Ramesh,

Yep I tried that too. It is quite interesting, it only happens with MY PICTURES and MY MUSIC folders in the Links. If I rename it to say "Music1" then it stays as Music1. If I rename it to say "Picture s" it stays as Picture s. But as soon as I rename them to Music/Pictures, they revert to My Music/My Pictures. Only those two. Videos and Recorded TV, or even Documents don't exhibit the same behavior. Root folders may be the cause??