DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Virtual Machine Queries.

bener is offline New Member

Default Virtual Machine Queries.

Hi everyone, I am a brand new member of this site, I have a question about an idea I had regarding virtual machines.

I have a large selection of the free antivirus/spyware programs that are out there, which I would like to periodically run, as most people will know some will pick up what others do not.

I have one problem with this - these programs are so intrusive and resource hungry, and many refuse to co-operate with each other. For example AVG free will not put up with just being used as an antivirus, it wants to protect your computer real-time and these extra processes sometimes cannot be entirely disabled without uninstalling. I already have a satisfactory real-time protection set-up (avast) and I do not want real-time protection for my real-time protection :-)
    I only want to utilise the benefits of occasionally running different scanning programs.

I thought that if I could run them all on a virtual machine that accesses my host system's HDD I would bypass this issue -- but is it possible??!
    I have windows virtual machine, with XP mode, a normal XP image and Server 2003.

Any help will be much appreciated!!

Ben.

Max Peck is offline New Member

Sure ... you can do that just as long as your VM can view the host hard drive. You would need to direct the virus scanner to scan a particular drive. Assuming your main machine is called 'MyBox' ... just map a drive letter (in the VM) to \\MyBox\C$ (or whichever drive you want to scan). In a command session you could accomplish the mapping like this:

NET USE X: \\MyBox\C$

or you could do it in Windows Explorer by browsing to "\\MyBox\C$" and mapping it from there.

However ... why would you want to do this? Sounds like overkill to me.

-max