DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC
 
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How can I Restore the .exe file association after I changed it ?

  1. #1
    omn143 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default How can I Restore the .exe file association after I changed it ?

    I was opening up an .exe from a download manager and it asked the standard Open With question. I chose Windows Media Player by accident, and from that time onwards, i cannot open up any .exe files as it opens Windows Media Player.



    how can I get it back to normal?

    My operation system: win 7 64 bit

  2. #2
    LeeW is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    741

    Default

    Right-Click an exe file / choose Properties. You will see a label that says Open With and a button that says Change, Click that and reselect Windows Installer. If you do not have the option to Change then try the following

    Open Notepad and paste the following
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
    @="exefile"
    "Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\PersistentHandler]
    @="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
    @="\"%1\" %*"
    "IsolatedCommand"="\"%1\" %*"
    Save it as Exe.reg
    Make sure you have all file types selected
    Double-Click to apply the settings to the registry

  3. #3
    HappyAndyK's Avatar
    HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,572

  4. #4
    bloop is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I have the same problem but for .bat files. All .bat files now open with notepad. How do I change it back. The file association fixer tool did not offer to change .bat files.

  5. #5
    LeeW is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bloop View Post
    I have the same problem but for .bat files. All .bat files now open with notepad. How do I change it back. The file association fixer tool did not offer to change .bat files.
    To fix the association for a bat file, open Notepad and paste the following code, click Save As change type to All and save as batdefault.reg. After you have saved the reg file just double click it to merge it to the Registry. Your Bat files should then be reset back to default. (Make sure you save it to a location you will remember)

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bat]
    @="batfile"

    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.BAT]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bat\PersistentHandler]
    @="{5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile]
    @="MS-DOS Batch File"
    "EditFlags"=hex:30,04,00,00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\DefaultIcon]
    @=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00 ,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
    00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00 ,32,00,5c,00,73,00,68,00,\
    65,00,6c,00,6c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c ,00,2c,00,2d,00,31,00,35,\
    00,33,00,00,00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell\edit]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell\edit\command]
    @=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00 ,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
    00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00 ,32,00,5c,00,4e,00,4f,00,\
    54,00,45,00,50,00,41,00,44,00,2e,00,45,00,58,00,45 ,00,20,00,25,00,31,00,00,\
    00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell\open]
    "EditFlags"=hex:00,00,00,00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell\open\command]
    @="\"%1\" %*"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell\print]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell\print\command]
    @=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00 ,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
    00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00 ,32,00,5c,00,4e,00,4f,00,\
    54,00,45,00,50,00,41,00,44,00,2e,00,45,00,58,00,45 ,00,20,00,2f,00,70,00,20,\
    00,25,00,31,00,00,00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shellex]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shellex\DropHandler]
    @="{86C86720-42A0-1069-A2E8-08002B30309D}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shellex\PropertySheetHan dlers]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shellex\PropertySheetHan dlers\PifProps]
    @="{86F19A00-42A0-1069-A2E9-08002B30309D}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shellex\PropertySheetHan dlers\ShimLayer Property Page]
    @="{513D916F-2A8E-4F51-AEAB-0CBC76FB1AF8}"

  6. #6
    bloop is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by L.W View Post
    To fix the association for a bat file, open Notepad and paste the following code, click Save As change type to All and save as batdefault.reg. After you have saved the reg file just double click it to merge it to the Registry. Your Bat files should then be reset back to default. (Make sure you save it to a location you will remember)
    I did as above but unfortunately it didn't help. .bat files still open with notepad even after rebootiing.

  7. #7
    LeeW is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bloop View Post
    I did as above but unfortunately it didn't help. .bat files still open with notepad even after rebootiing.
    See what is listed for the application Goto
    Start Menu\Control Panel\Default Programs\ Associate a file type or protocol with a program

    Scroll down the list till you see .bat, the default listed for bat files should say Unknown Application. Check that it says that and post back

  8. #8
    bloop is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by L.W View Post
    See what is listed for the application Goto
    Start Menu\Control Panel\Default Programs\ Associate a file type or protocol with a program

    Scroll down the list till you see .bat, the default listed for bat files should say Unknown Application. Check that it says that and post back
    It does say unknown application. I tried double clicking on a .bat file and it ran. It appears that the problem is now fixed. Thanks much for all your help.

  9. #9
    LeeW is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bloop View Post
    It does say unknown application. I tried double clicking on a .bat file and it ran. It appears that the problem is now fixed. Thanks much for all your help.
    Glad 2 help

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22