Thread: Remove OEM partition after win 7 install

jamiemac is offline New Member

Default Remove OEM partition after win 7 install

Hi I have just done a full win 7 home instal on to my dell vista laptop. It all looks good apart from my Hadive seems to halved in size.

Disk Management says:
    Disk 0 Basic 111.79 GB onlne... and shows three primary partition. 110MB Healthy OEM partition, Recovery (D 10 GB NTFS Healthy (Prmary partition) and OS (C 101.68 GB NTFS Healthy (System, Boot, Pafe, Acive, Crash Dump, Primary partition)

So is it possble make th OEM partition avalable? (Disk Management offers no righ click options for that partition).

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Usually the OEMs are placing the MBR into this little partition. That does not seem the case here because your C is the active partition. I suspect that this partition contains some OEM tools. I would probably not delete it until you know exactly what's in it. Partition Wizard Home Edition may be able to allocate a drive letter so that you can open it in Computer. I would try that first.

jamiemac is offline New Member

Default Doh

Thanks WHS,
    I actually just realised the OEM partion is only a 100MB not 100GB so it's not an issue in the end. But thanks for your help.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

You are right. The extra 110MBs would not make you any richer.

PS: You may want to bookmark the Partition Wizard. It is a really handy tool, especially as it can also be used as a live CD (see Bootable CD or USB in the left pane of their webpage) - apart from a normal program installation. That allows you to look at your disks when everything else fails.

StrayCat is offline Senior Member

It's best to leave that system preserved partition alone...

I remember reading that a fresh installation of Windows 7 (7pro and onwards I think), the 7 installer will create the Bitlocker partition. In addition to it being used for BitLocker encryption(Ultimate,Business,Entreprise Editions only), it holds the Recovery environment (WinRE) and boot files.

Still,if for some odd reason,anyone wants to get rid of it, they'll have to delete this partition using a 3rd party partition manager, and then resize the 7 partition- that should be marked as active.

But afterwards they will need to boot into the Windows 7 DVD Repair console to run Startup Repair to rewrite the MBR to the Windows 7 partition.

But then again,who cares for the extra 100MB...