DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: How to partition a new windows 7 laptop?

regardspra is offline New Member

Default How to partition a new windows 7 laptop?

alright, please bare with me here I am new to this.

I have bought new laptop with windows 7 64 bit. I have total of 320GB HD.

I want to partition the HD into C drive which the normal drive whr all the software will go. and D drive which will be the data drive.

now after doing hours of searching, i havnt gotten any where except finding out that I dont need to boot my laptop the way i used to do it in xp. windows 7 has it built in. so i did all that. going to control panel/ and geting to admin tools which gets me to disk management.

this is where I get stuck. I opened that disk management window and it shows FOUR boxes as follows:
    1) 200 MB- Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)
    2) (C 200GB NTFS- Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary partition)
    3) Lenovo (D NTFS - 30.33 GB Healthy (Logical Drive)
    4) 14.75GB- Healthy (OEM Partition)

just to give you more details, my C drive has all the softwares, and D drive has one folder which is "drivers".

I have no clue what the other things are but I am guessing that the C and D drive are already made for me. which is great. so i thought all i have to do is free up some space from C put it in D and i should be good to go. so i tried it, i was able to free up space from C drive, but was not able to allocate it to D drive nor was i able to make a new drive as I got error saying I have maxed out on drives.

obviously i was wrong cuz I am here explaing all this to you. so the 100GB worth question is, how do i allocate 100GB from my C drive into my D drive which I am guessin is for data use. also do i neeed the 1st and 4th items that I have listed above?

I would really appreciate if someone can help me out with this.

Thanks

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by regardspra View Post
    alright, please bare with me here I am new to this.

I have bought new laptop with windows 7 64 bit. I have total of 320GB HD.

I want to partition the HD into C drive which the normal drive whr all the software will go. and D drive which will be the data drive.

now after doing hours of searching, i havnt gotten any where except finding out that I dont need to boot my laptop the way i used to do it in xp. windows 7 has it built in. so i did all that. going to control panel/ and geting to admin tools which gets me to disk management.

this is where I get stuck. I opened that disk management window and it shows FOUR boxes as follows:
    1) 200 MB- Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)
    2) (C 200GB NTFS- Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary partition)
    3) Lenovo (D NTFS - 30.33 GB Healthy (Logical Drive)
    4) 14.75GB- Healthy (OEM Partition)

just to give you more details, my C drive has all the softwares, and D drive has one folder which is "drivers".

I have no clue what the other things are but I am guessing that the C and D drive are already made for me. which is great. so i thought all i have to do is free up some space from C put it in D and i should be good to go. so i tried it, i was able to free up space from C drive, but was not able to allocate it to D drive nor was i able to make a new drive as I got error saying I have maxed out on drives.

obviously i was wrong cuz I am here explaing all this to you. so the 100GB worth question is, how do i allocate 100GB from my C drive into my D drive which I am guessin is for data use. also do i neeed the 1st and 4th items that I have listed above?

I would really appreciate if someone can help me out with this.

Thanks
    The 200mb is created by your Windows installation and is reserved for Windows 7 (more info here Windows 7 Insists on 100 MB or 200 MB system partition - MSFN Forums). The Fourth is your OEM backup partition. If you did not recieve a disk with your pc then this is the backup copy of your Windows Installation. If you have OEM disk and not worried over having a backup OEM drive then you can remove this partition. I won't tell you to remove this, you can decide if you need it). A good tool to use to help with your Partitions and should help you with the problem with allocating is Easeus Partition Master. You can download it from here EASEUS FREE Partition Manager Software: Free Partition Magic alternative for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 and Server 2000/2003/2008 Hard Drive partitions.

Thank you L.W. I am right now at my work and currently can not use internet on my laptop. I will try those software you mentioned whne I get home.

I have another question though. if I install a software right now in my C drive, will it be deleted or anything? if I partition my drive and reformat my new drive to be used as data drive. because I only have ONE use for this software so i dont wanna install it right now and then come to find out that I can not use it later as it was deleted or something.

thank you for your reply. i appreciate it.

hi the software that you gave me, wont work as i have windows 7 64bit. do u know any other software?

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Delight Ga is offline New Member

Arrow

Hello guys!

First of all you are going to need to get a set of Operating system CD's to complete this task because you will need to reformat and reinstall the OS.

Step 1
    Get CD's: Many times you can burn a set of recovery CD's from the system itself. If not then you can contact the manufacturer to get them.

Step 2
    Backup all Desired Data

Step 3
    Write down list of installed components from Device Manager(Right click on my computer and say manage, and select device manager from left pane) to be sure you have right drivers and download proper drivers from manufacturer's website.

Step 4
    Boot off of CD (You can adjust the boot order in the bios or you can select to boot once from the CD by hitting the proper key, For Dell its F12 when you see the first logo but can be different for each manufacturer.)

Step 5
    Choose to do a "Fresh Install" and to reformat the entire hard drive and configure the hard drive partitions accordingly.

Step 6
    Install Windows on drive C (THIS IS ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED OR YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS)

Step 7
    Install system drivers is Recovery CD's don't do this for you. Some Mfg's will set this up for you.

Step 8
    Restore Data files that you backed up to proper locations.

shiny is offline New Member

Thumbs up resize partition

hello, I don't know if your difficulties had solved? If not, maybe research Partition Assistant,you could know how to do