DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Problem in restricted user in windows 7

techshan is offline New Member

Default Problem in restricted user in windows 7

Hello

I have recently installed autocad 2008 using an administrators account. I then logged into my restricted user account with admin rights and let it install itself into this profile, the program launches and runs fine. I then changed the account type to limited and the program doesn't run not even an error, if I change the priveleges back to administrator it seems to work fine but as a limited user never seems to work.
    The same problen exists when I am running under windows xp also.

Thanks in advance

Techshan

03-07-2010

LeeW is offline Gold Member

The AutoDesk support has a help topic on this. Hopefully this page can help you
    The following is from the Autodesk site on restricted accounts
    Permissions restrictions
    In Windows 2000 and XP, restricted users are prevented from modifying files, folders and registry entries outside their user profile. To support restricted user accounts, all customizable AutoCAD files and registry settings are stored within the user profile. Users must have Full Control permissions to all files and folders in the C:\Documents and Settings\%username% (Windows XP) or C:\WINNT\Users\%username% (Windows 2000) directory. Additionally, users must have Full Control permissions to all registry keys and values in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER key in the registry. Restrictions that limit a user’s permissions to these locations could cause failures in the AutoCAD secondary installer or within the program. Typical errors include Microsoft Windows Installer errors such as Error 1321: Insufficient permissions to modify file. Errors in the 14##, 13##, 17## range could also indicate permissions restrictions.
    To correct this issue, you should remove permission restrictions from the user, reboot the machine, and then try to run AutoCAD again.
    Restrictions on the Windows Installer Service
    There are several ways of preventing users from accessing the Windows Installer Service (Msiexec), including placing restrictions in the Group Policy Object in Active Directory. The first time a user of a machine runs AutoCAD, the Windows Installer Service is required for the secondary installer to function. To correct this issue, you should remove this restriction from the user, reboot the machine, and then try to run AutoCAD again.
    Preventing applications from running in the user profile
    Policies that prevent users from launching applications from within the user profile can cause AutoCAD to fail to launch with no error message or splash screen. One place this restriction can be specified is in the Group Policy Object in Active Directory under User Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Software Restriction Policies > Additional Rules > %userprofile% = Disallowed. These types of restrictions are not tested or supported for use with AutoCAD. To correct this issue, you shoud remove this restriction from the user, reboot the machine, and then try to run AutoCAD again
    Autodesk - AutoCAD LT Services & Support - Unable to run AutoCAD® as a restricted user

techshan is offline New Member

Default LW many thanks!

Hi LW

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply .I appreciate your professional way of explaining things in such a way that the novice can understand easily

FYI: In one of the pc in our domain, even in restricted user, AUTOCAD 2006 is working without any problem.Actually what is giving the problem either the application installation steps or some other rights problem giving the issue,it is difficult for me to figure out.

Can you please tell me the steps how to install the software in the clients pc's in the domain?

Thanks a lot !

Techshan( Swaminathan)

04-07-2010