DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Cannot backup because of Low Disk Space warning

mbmb is offline Beginner

Default Cannot backup because of Low Disk Space warning

I get this message when I restart my computer.

Because of this - I can not do full backups on my computer.

Can you help me out on this?

thanks...

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Pls see options to clear disk space and/or disable this warning at Free Up Lost Disk Space in Windows 7 & Vista

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

If I remember right, you need 15% of free space. I suggest you move some of the files to another (e.g. external) disk. Operating with a full disk is not going to work in the long run.
    Another alternative would be to image the disk. Here is a video tutorial I once made: Imaging with free Macrium - Windows 7 Forums

mbmb is offline Beginner

Im not sure if this matters - but it is on disk d that is having the issue.

But I still cant do a backup. For some reason my portable backup device doesnt work either (dont know if thats a computer issue).

thanks...

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by mbmb View Post
    Im not sure if this matters - but it is on disk d that is having the issue.

But I still cant do a backup. For some reason my portable backup device doesnt work either (dont know if thats a computer issue).

thanks...
    Ha, that is a different story. If it is the D disk (whick supposedly is the recovery partition), you must have moved data on there that does not belong there. Most likely (if I read your previous post right) with data backup. Windows assumes D as the default device for data backup. But the OEMs use that as the recovery partition - but do not change the default for data backup. You have to change this default to e.g. an external disk and cleanup the the D partition. Remove everything that is not part of the recovery partition. If you need help, post a snip of your D partition file content and we will help to identify the culprits.
    The problem with your portable device could be anything. You'll have to give more details to diagnose that one.

mbmb is offline Beginner

I have an AVG folder, a folder with 2 backups, a recovery icon and mediaID.bin

???

THANKS!