DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Ghost window in windows 7

navyyeoman is offline New Member

Default Ghost window in windows 7

I just purchased a new HP Slimline Pavilion model S5510F desktop with windows 7. I have a problem after signing on to the Welcome window.

All my main window icons appear, the takbar etc. However, right after these appear and before the HP taskbar appears at the top of the window, a black and white window (like a negative) briefly appears. It only outlines the location of all the icons on the regualr window. This appears and disappears in a split second. It is so fast that I am unable to do a screen print.

Logically, this seems to be a double image of the main window except in a negative view like a photo. Does anyone else have this problem or any suggestions. HP could not provide anything usefull. Thanks

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Have you tried disabling all startup items to runon Startup and 1 by one enable them to see if you might can narrow down the culprit?

If not try this

Start Menu\Run\MSConfig click the Startup tab and then select Disable all, click
    Apply and close and try restarting to see if you still get this (ghost) window.

If so go back to MSConfig and select the Services tab. Click Disable all click Apply and try restarting. If after doing these steps you no longer see the window Reenable the Services option. I would suggest checking Hide all Microsoft Services and selectively reenable the other manufacturer services 1 by 1 till you find the cuplrit.

Same for items under Startup tab.

I won't say 100% but if I had to give an answer, I would have to say it's a HP addon that is running in the background

navyyeoman is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by L.W View Post
    Have you tried disabling all startup items to runon Startup and 1 by one enable them to see if you might can narrow down the culprit?

If not try this

Start Menu\Run\MSConfig click the Startup tab and then select Disable all, click
    Apply and close and try restarting to see if you still get this (ghost) window.

If so go back to MSConfig and select the Services tab. Click Disable all click Apply and try restarting. If after doing these steps you no longer see the window Reenable the Services option. I would suggest checking Hide all Microsoft Services and selectively reenable the other manufacturer services 1 by 1 till you find the cuplrit.

Same for items under Startup tab.

I won't say 100% but if I had to give an answer, I would have to say it's a HP addon that is running in the background
    I haven't tried these yet but here is something interesting. There is a little white dot on the upper left corner of the main window. When I place the mouse over it, I can expand it to a full size window by dragging the lines of this empty box. This appear to be a shell window because when I drag it to full size all my icons are highlited. This is weird. Any ideas based on this info?